VMware Cloud Community
Litch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Server VMDK -> ESX

Say I have 3 Virtual Machines, and therefore 3 respective VMDKs, running under VMWare Server 1.0.5

If I was to make another physical machine, install ESX/ESXi 3.5 (I've never used ESX) could I just import/copy over these VMDKs and run them?

Or maybe even just copy over my entire Virtual Machines folder?

Is it that easy? Or am I dreaming?

I've got an Intel PRO1000 NIC in transit, and it's supported by ESX/ESXi. Upon arrival I'm thinking about migrating to ESX/ESXi

(Opposed to WinXP / VMWare Server 1.0.5)

I wanted to know what sort of difficulty i'm in for.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

They best way would be to use VMWare Converter and convert the VM for use on a ESX Server.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

They best way would be to use VMWare Converter and convert the VM for use on a ESX Server.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you are dreaming - the files are different between vmware server and esx - as gerrit said the best way to bring a vm created under vmware server is with vmware converter -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos