VMware Cloud Community
elgordojimenez
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare 3.5 u4 - VC 2.5 U4 Cluster question

Hello Guys,

I have just had a pretty cool discussion with one of my colleagues at work regarding 3leafsystems technologies :: http://www.3leafsystems.com/dvmm.html and resource distribution. Whilst talking to him I kinda realized that a VMWareCluster has a pool of resources but does not actually take resources from any host, only from the one the VM is configured on. So I want to know if this is true?. I checked the VMWare DRS and HA documentation and it says that the resources are part of the cluster and they work as 1, but the resources assigned to a vm belong to the host it is actually set to, so can a VM have resources from different hosts in the cluster and one given time?, for example can it have memory assigned from 2 different hosts at the same time?. That was one of the points i was discussing with my colleague, this 3leafsystems can act as a "cloud" of hardware and take it from any server in the "cluster".

also can this be accomplished with VSPhere maybe?

Thanks.

• If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful ****

**** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful ****
0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

vSphere and VI-3 work in much the same way in that a VM can only utilize the resources from a single ESX host at a time - the 3leaf system sounds very similar to the clustering that done in the days of DEC VAX VMS clustering and other products in the Grid computing space - the two things to keep in mind with solution like this is you are fixed at using Linux and how perfectly matched does the underlying hardware have to be

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
elgordojimenez
Contributor
Contributor

thanks!

• If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful ****

**** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful ****
0 Kudos