VMware Cloud Community
dazza1981
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Converter Issues

Hi,

We have two separate forest domains and use Platespin for one organisation for P2V operations. We do not have Platespin at the other organisation and budgets are an issue so currently only new servers have been provisioned on that VM environment. We have a need to P2V some servers which are getting close to hardware expiry so I wanted to P2V some servers so wanted to use VMWARE Converter due to the absence of Platespin.

I have tried P2V's on two test servers using VMWARE Converter Enterprise 4.0.3 and both times the conversion has seemed to work without issue. However despite the conversion completing I have had the following behaviour:

1. First Server - Would not respond to CtrlAltInsert or send CtrlAltDelete just hangs on logon prompt.

2. Second Server - Responds to CtrlAltInsert and send CtrlAltDelete but upon logging on will not load desktop have literally left it overnight and it will not logon.

Both physical servers are stable and in good operational order. I have tried powering both of the virtual servers off a couple of times and removed any unrequired virtual hardware but this has made little difference. Both physical servers were shutdown upon completion of P2V.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this would occur? As I do not wish to proceed with P2V's on anything in production until I can P2V without issue.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dahvaio
Contributor
Contributor

What OS?

Not sure if this is an option but I also use PlateSpin to perform P2V's. I only have one PlateSpin server running as a Virtual Server. We purchased around 300+ Conversion licenses. For my remote sites, I performed a V2V of the PlateSpin server to the remote site. This way, I could use PlateSpin at the remote site. Just make sure that you are only running one PlateSpin Server at a time.

0 Kudos
dazza1981
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dahvaio,

The two test boxes are actually running Windows 2008 and Windows XP with SP3 respectively. The 2008 box is the one that actually accepts a logon but hangs but I don't think it is OS related.

In regard to using Platespin I am looking to using VMWARE Converter I appreciate your sentiments at offering a workaround but I would prefer a solution.

Regards.

0 Kudos