VMware Cloud Community
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE-AAM error

Upgrading ESX3.0.2 to 3.5 in our farm of Dell 1950's.

I get this error on boot from some of the hosts (not all) that I do a straight upgrade.

I remove the host from the farm, then do an uprgade using a CD with 3.5U2 on it, then reboot.

The error persist after several cold boots. What does this error refer too... the random number generator ? What other potentialeffects could it have ?

TIA

S

0 Kudos
10 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

AAM (automated availability manager) is VMware HA. Check your /etc/hosts file, and make sure the hostnames are all in lowercase.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

They are all in lower case, hosts file looks fine.

S

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you having trouble with HA? Are the hosts reporting correctly in your cluster?

Typically, you would disable HA before performing the upgrade. I would disable HA in your cluster, and the re-enable it.

-KjB

Message was edited by: kjb007 : added HA info

0 Kudos
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

I remove the host from the farm before performing the upgrade so HA would not be running (correct?).

Then I join it to the farm after its upgraded.

disabling/enabling HA didnt work.

-S

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct, removing from the cluster should've done the trick.

Is that the only verbage to the error?

-KjB

0 Kudos
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

No, it goes by too quick. Is there a log file created at boot I can look at ? if so whats the path ?

I have done some searching at this site, appears its a bug in Update 2, and is fixed in update 3.

-S

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Is your server stating that it has a problem with the HA agent? Is there a yellow triangle next to the host, and a message in the summary tab of the ESX server in vCenter?

-KjB

0 Kudos
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

No, the GUI is fine. Its when I boot the HOST at console (NIX cmd line) that I see the error.

-S

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, then it does appear to be a transient error. I haven't seen a specific reference to this being a bug that is fixed in Update 3, but if you've seen otherwise. . . .

-KjB

0 Kudos
seangar
Contributor
Contributor

I have rebooted enough machines that I get a path in the error and then "... agent_env.linux not found"

However once joined back in the cluster these upgraded boxes are running fine.

-S

0 Kudos