VMware Cloud Community
lsysamc
Contributor
Contributor

VMTools showing Out of Date on ESX 3.0

Hey everybody... I am a beginner here so take it easy on me. We have just set up our first ESX server 3 and I am having some SQL wierd errors. When I was poking around I noticed that the Virtual Center Client shows that the VMTools are out of date on a couple of my VM's. i cannot find a straight forward document on how to update the VM Tools. The automatic option on the install vm tools screen is greyed out so I cannot tell it to automatically update...

Can someone speak gently to me regarding upgrading?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

In the VI Client, select the VM and open it's console then right-click on it and select "Install VMware Tools". It will load a wizard that will upgrade the version for you.

Page 133 of this guide...

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_admin_guide.pdf

Message was edited by:

esiebert7625

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

If you want to install multiple VMs at once than click on the ESX host on Virtual Client and select "Virtual Machines" tab and than multi select it with CTRL+A and than choose "Install VMware Tools" and than check the box "Upgrade VMware Tools automatically without interacting with the guest OS." this will reboot when its done installed.

If you want to interact with the VMware install, than open the console and do it that way. DO NOT check the box "Upgrade VMware Tools automatically without interacting with the guest OS." if its a production servers because its going to reboot.

hope this helps.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Sorry, CTRLselection from your mouse Smiley Happy NOT CTRLA

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos