VMware Cloud Community
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMOTION between Resource Pools

Can I do VMOTION of one VM, say VM1 residing at Host1 in resource pool RP1 to another host Host2 in resource pool RP2?

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm just said that you can use vMotion and I didn't say anything about HA or DRS

AFAIK, DRS and HA needs the host to be placed in the same cluster.

DRS needs EVC or vMotion Compatible (both Intel or AMD) hosts in the same cluster.

HA needs hosts in same cluster BUT because it will restart the VM, You can have different CPU Arch in your cluster.

What do you need to do and what is the plan, if you describe it a little more, may be the answers, help more. Smiley Wink

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As long as the Host-A and Host-B have the CPU compatibility for vMotion and placed in the same Data Center, and Network is configured for vMotion, Yes.

You can just drag and drop VM from one resource pool to the other to use the vMotion.

If I miss anything; please correct me, thanks.

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Oppps, And of course you need the correct License for it. Smiley Wink

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alright, So that means manual VMOTION can be done but HA nor DRS clusters can be configured between these two hosts since they fall in different Resource pools right?

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm just said that you can use vMotion and I didn't say anything about HA or DRS

AFAIK, DRS and HA needs the host to be placed in the same cluster.

DRS needs EVC or vMotion Compatible (both Intel or AMD) hosts in the same cluster.

HA needs hosts in same cluster BUT because it will restart the VM, You can have different CPU Arch in your cluster.

What do you need to do and what is the plan, if you describe it a little more, may be the answers, help more. Smiley Wink

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nothing bud. It was just a question that arised in my m ind and I cant check it out since I do not have access to any ESX Servers.

Your answer helped me and I will award points........ Thank you.

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your welcome

This forum is for question and answers, so feel free to ask your questions.

I'm apologize if my words didn't sounds good (My English is not well, sorry).

May be you can build your own lab by just 2 or 3 PC and starting to work on ESXi and ....

You can check these two link so you may start thinking to build your own lab Smiley Wink

vm-help

Ultimate ESX Whitebox

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

0 Kudos