VMware Cloud Community
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMNIC0 link state is Down!

Anyone know why my vmnic0 link state shows "Down" when I issue "esxcfg-nics -l" command?

I've tried many combinations to enable it online but didn't work. Any helps?

What's the commands for 3.0.2 ?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What speed/duplex is your physical port set to? If it does not match the NIC setting you can have problems. Try setting it back to auto/auto and see if it works. Also you should use the VMware name for the NIC when using esxcfg-nics not the SC name (vmnic0 instead of eth0)

esxcfg-nics -a vmnic0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you checked the actual physical connection for vmnic0?

I'm assuming you have multiple service console NICs which are allowing you to ac cess the ESX server.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

down means "no link", so check the cabling / port of the switch etc.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I just install ESX 3.0.2 with 2 Broadcom on board plus 2 FB NICs + 1 FC QLogic cards.

I only assigned IP: 192.168.xx.xx during installation and that's it. The other 3 ESX hosts installation went just fine.

It happened when I tried to play with "esxcfg-nics -s 1000 -d full eth0 command something like that...any ideas to enable that vmnic0 online again?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm guessing it's the physical switch port that doesn't have a link to your machine.

Can you see lamps on the NIC?

Also, if the other machines you've just built are close enough, can you swap the cables over to see the link come up?

Just need to rule out the physical first.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What speed/duplex is your physical port set to? If it does not match the NIC setting you can have problems. Try setting it back to auto/auto and see if it works. Also you should use the VMware name for the NIC when using esxcfg-nics not the SC name (vmnic0 instead of eth0)

esxcfg-nics -a vmnic0

0 Kudos
Brock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EDIT: I got my servers upside down.. The server running 3.0.1 is the one that has the issue with the NIC so it is not due to 3.0.2!

Theres another thread similar to this but I figured I'd post here as well.

I'm having a very similar issue where after upgrading to 3.0.2 one of my vmnics is displayed as down. Before the upgrade the NIC was fine. The connection on the other end, whether its a switch, another esx server, or a pc is displayed as UP. I haven't gotten into the CLI yet, I'll do that this afternoon.

Anyone else have similar experiences after upgrading to 3.0.2?

Thanks!

0 Kudos