VMware Cloud Community
kami88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMDK file not recognized as a virtual disk

Hi all,

I have 2 VMDK files from an old virtual machine that I've deleted. I only kept the virtual disks. Now, I created a new virtual machine & tried to add the 2 virtual disks, but they are not recognized as a vmdk file, just as a 'file' (see screenshot)

Is there a way to add the 2 virtual disks to the TEWEB02 machine?

Thx a lot!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Here is a post from Continuum in it is a link to a very nice tool he has written for this very task

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
krishna11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Create any dummy VM, and modify the vmdk of dummy VM direct to your flat vmdk

example,

vi dummy.vmdk

1. Extent description

RW 10485760 VMFS "RHEL4U5-UP-FLEX-LSI-32BIT-flat.vmdk"

change the above vmdk path with your original vmdk and size of flat vmdk in sectors(10485760).

If you find this answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

0 Kudos
kami88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thx for the reply,

But I don't get it i think. Can you explain your solution a little bit more clearly?

Thx a lot!

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Here is a post from Continuum in it is a link to a very nice tool he has written for this very task

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
kami88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thx a lot Tom!

You're wonderfull! :smileycool:

0 Kudos