VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM split between two volumes

Aloha - Not too sure how this happened, but I have one VM that the VDisk is on one SAN volume and the rest of the VMWare files are on a locall disk. It works, but I recognize this ain't too cool. What is the easiest way to get all the files back together and working?? Converter????

Mahalo, Bill

0 Kudos
3 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've seen this happen before with storage vmotion. Have you storage vmotioned it? Anyway - way I got around it was to storage vmotion the vmdk to where the vmx files etc are located so they are all located within the same vmfs.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

As "java_cat33" stated, just use Storage VMotion to get all the VM's disks back to the same VMFS Volume. If you haven't already, install the RCLI for Windows and you can either manually initiate the command via commandline or install the unsupported but working SVMotion plugin. The plugin works really well, you just right click on the VM in question and click on "migrate storage" and you'll find your VM disk and just drag/drop.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You can fix this easily by shutting down the VM and do a Cold Migration and chose to move the VMDK's.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos