VMware Cloud Community
alvarocrespo
Contributor
Contributor

VM show alarms by CPU usage and Memory usage.

Last week I updated my ESX servers to version 3.5 and VI server to 2.5.

In this moment all VM work fine. Around weekend, some VM started to show alarms by CPU and Memory usage treshold (over 90%).

In some case I solved the problem increased memory reservation or Virtual Memory. And the VM work fine again.

But one VM show the two alert at same time and only use over 10% of memory and processor. Is possible that alerts don´t work fine in ESX??

0 Kudos
6 Replies
shaneyoder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have VCMS 2.5 but my hosts are still 3.0.2 and I have a VM that did alarm on both CPU and Memory but it never clears the alarm. Is that what you are seeing, as well?

Shane

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

Try disabling the alarms and re-enabling them.. I have seen this before in my environment and this seems to clear it up.

Help me help you by scoring points.

Help me help you by scoring points.
0 Kudos
Ercole77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i have the same problems with alarms. Cpu and Mmory are ok but the alarm remains red. I have to restart VC service to bring it to normal.

Any solution?

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Have seen this problem a lot. Fiddling with enable/disable alarms works a little. The only quick-n-dirty solution up till now is to login the host via SSH, and perform:

service vmware-vpxa restart

No worries, your VMs keep running. You will see the host and all its VMs grey out temporarily, then pop back up into black. All "false alarms" will have disappeared from all VMs running on that host. You must repeat this for all your hosts.

This is a very annoying bug, and has been around for a (far too long) time... Hopefully VMware will fix this asap...

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

No worries, your VMs keep running.

Only if autostart is not configured. The autostart bug was reintroduced with the new release!

0 Kudos
Ercole77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

service vmware-vpxa restart helped me alot in the past with blank light on the vm...

But it doesnt help me now, i see the vm on the host in grey then they return connected but always the fake alarm on them.

The only solution is to restart the vc service....very annoying!!!

Thnaks

0 Kudos