VMware Cloud Community
cperreault
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM's unable to connect to ESX CD drive

So I'm running VC 2.5 build 84767 and ESX 3.5.1 update 1 and I'm having issues connecting VM's to any of my three ESX servers CD drives... This is an issue with existing and new VM's...

Any ideas?

Chris

Chris
0 Kudos
17 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Do you receive any errors when you set the VM's CD to use the ESX HOst CD?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the ESX Server 3.5 Configuration forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
cperreault
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry Dave....

No, I dont get any errors... It's more like the host has no idea that the cdrom exists.

When I attempt to boot from CD media to create a new VM, the VM never connects to the cdrom drive (regardless of what is checked under edit setting...)

Older VM's never seem to connect to the cdrom either... It just says "...enter a cd.." for windows and linux say no device availible.

Now under the configuration tab on all of the ESX hosts, the cdrom shows up as:

CSB5 IDE Controller

vmhba0

Chris

Chris
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried attaching the CD rom to the client instead of the host? Also, you may have to change the bios of the VM to boot from CD first.

0 Kudos
cperreault
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That will work for existing VM's but not new ones...? (right?)

And yes I have tried attaching the cdrom to the client and still no joy... Thanks thought...

Chris

Chris
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

for new one's it will work as well. If you have a blank VM, it will try to boot and find no OS, then try a network boot. All you have to do is attach your CD rom/ISO to your Client and sometimes it will pick it up immediatly and boot from CD, sometimes you just have to send a CTLALTDEL.

cperreault
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cool man, I'll give it a try......

I would not have worked, but anything is work a try.

Chris

Chris
0 Kudos
cperreault
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well that was a very cool trick (and one I'll keep in my bag of tricks for latter... Thanks) but the VM's still seem to act as if the cdrom does not exist.

Chris

Chris
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Is the CD acutally bootable? Have you tried it in any other machines? If you have a fast finger, you can hit the <esc> key and change the boot order, and put the CD Rom as first. There is a way to delay the boot, but I don't know the actual steps to do that.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

what about creating an ISO image of cd?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Instead of trying ot beat the boot speed of the VM - go in to the setting of the VM under the options tab there is option for boot where you can force the vm to boot to the cmos setup screen -

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

maybe a dump question, but did you check/configure the boot sequence in the BIOS of your VM to use the CD?

And of course you must mark the Connect at power on[/b] in the device status section of your CD drive in the VM settings dialog box.

If it's not set, the VM won't find the CD during startup.

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
cperreault
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah the cd seems fine (I've test the cd in other physical machines...)

Yes I can boot from an ISO saved in my datastore, which is cool as I can provision new servers.... But bad if I need anything off of cd for existing VM's.

No the end of the world mind you (I can alway store stuff off on the network and get it that way...) but I just updated the ESX servers this week and was hoping to get this figured out.

Chris

Chris
0 Kudos
cperreault
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah no worries Ghost. I did check all that.

Like I said, it strange... It's like the none of the VM's (new or old) can see the cdrom, regardless of what is on the cd. It never gets that far.

Chris

Chris
0 Kudos
Weatherman
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, you can use ISO images for existing VM's as well. They work very well for adding Windows Components, etc. And you don't have to go looking for a physical CD. I hardly ever use physical CDs in my VI environment anymore. I can do everything remotely without setting foot in the datacenter to swap disks.

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Last try,

check with mount[/b] from the SC if the CD drive isn't used by Linux itself.

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but when you put a cd into the drive on an esx server, you can run 'tail /var/log/messages', and it should tell you which device was just added or inserted.

The /dev/cdrom are usually symlink's to the actual device as seen by esx. If you can not mount that device manually, then there is something wrong with the way the cd was detected. If the cd is ok, you should be able to run 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom'

Typically, if it's an IDE cdrom, the device will be something like /dev/hdc /dev/hdd.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos