VMware Cloud Community
zhukov45
Contributor
Contributor

VM's on new vlan can't get out!

Hey guys, problem here. I have created 3 new vlans and all show up in my VI Client. However none of the VMs can get out or ping the gateway. Everything I've read appears to match what I have. Any ideas? Any info you need from me?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - HAve you configured the ports on the physical switch to support the vLANs?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
zhukov45
Contributor
Contributor

Yep the switch is good. The vlans can be seen from other switches etc. I'm much better @ Cisco than VMWare Smiley Happy. I have 3 hosts. Say I have 2 vm's on one host in vlan48 they can ping one another but not another vm on a different host in vlan48.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you configured the virtual switch for the vLAN?

Check out http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esxi_server_config.pdf page 44

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
zhukov45
Contributor
Contributor

We looked at that document and it seems to match up. I can ssh into any host and ping the vlan ip address. I am attaching a screen shot for further info. The new vlans are DaxQA_48, 100 and 101.

Screen shot 2011-07-14 at 2.55.46 PM.png

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

So you are able to SSH from a machine on the physical network? Are you able to ping the physical machine that you can SSH form?

0 Kudos
zhukov45
Contributor
Contributor

I can ping the vlan ip from anywhere on the network. The vm's inside the vlan can ping one another (as long as they're on the same host) but can't get out or ping the gateway.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Odd - only two other things I can think of is:

1. Confirm the configuration of the new VMs particularly the gateway IP address
  2. Tagging is done by the virtual switch - do not have the OS in the VM to do the tagging

That is all I can think of -

0 Kudos