VMware Cloud Community
dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor

VM's Mysterious Brief Disconnects

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem where I have two hosts in a cluster and on two seperate days, they suddenly disconnect their vms and reconnect over a span of 5 secs.

On another note : I also notice that when I use the VI client and connected to the hosts individually, their event logs were empty. On the VC, I see the events for these hosts.

Also my other cluster on two other different hosts with a similar setup shows their individual event logs just fine.

Should there be a reason for concern since this happen so quickly and only occured once on each host in question so far?

Thank you,

Sincerely,

dhayashi

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is it that the VMs and ESX hosts are disconnected from network for 5 sec interval?

If so check the physical switch/switchport for signs of issues.

If the Hosts are disconnected from VC server for short period of time check /var/log/vmkernel, /var/log/vmware//hostd.log and /var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa.log for errors.

If I have misunderstood your request I apologize.

Chamon
Commander
Commander

What type of physical switch are you using? We had a dev cluster connected to a Netgear switch and saw this all the time. Replaced it with an old Cisco switch and it went away.

dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor

We're using Cisco 3750s so hopefully it is not a switch issue. I'll try to ask the network folks about the logs during the time frame being affected.

Thank you,

dhayashi

0 Kudos
dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor

it's actually the vm disconnecting in this case, not the host. So considering we're using a SAN, it could be network related.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Ar you using iSCSI or FC

0 Kudos
dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Have you checked your VMkernel Portgroup settings?

Did you find any errors or warnings in the logs mentioned above?

Message was edited by: Chamon

0 Kudos