VMware Cloud Community
kpawelk
Contributor
Contributor

VM on ESX inaccessible

Hi all,

I hvave ESX 3.5 on two machines (HA), today I have decided reboot this two machines and after boot machines working, but all my Virtual Machines are inaccessible.

I store all imiges of virtual machines on SAN, but from both ESX i can see vmfs volume, so I do not understund why all my VM are inaccessible?

any solution?

thanks,

Pawel

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Was there any reason you needed to reboot?

Did you reboot them both at the same time?

It might have been better to put one host into maintenance mode, let DRS migrate the VMs to the other host, reboot, and then do the same on the other.

Can you browse the data stores and see the VM data?

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you could try removing these from the inventory and then readd them by browsing to the datastores and re-registering the .vmx files for these. THen they should reappear and be manageable.

0 Kudos
kpawelk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris,

it wasn't any particular reason, all I wanted to test how entire system work after reboot.

before I haven't any problem after reboot one machine.

Yes I reboot both machines the same time.

Yes I can browse the data and I can see VM data.

I can not migrate VM in maintenance mode becouse the same problem VM are inaccessible.

Thanks Chris.

anybody have other idea?

Regards

Pawel

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As suggested, removing, and reregistering (double click on the vmx file) VC should do the trick.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you still in maintenance mode? You will need to get out of that to run the vm's. Can your two hosts still talk to each other so there is no HA issue at work?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
kpawelk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I found out what happend.

Affter I have rebooted my ESX machines, some changes happend in my VC:

name of storage chnged from snap-3e1c56d5-vm to snap-519dccd7-vm but new name has link to correct storage device vmhba1:1:0:1.

so is the reason that I can see VM's from the storage, but my VM's are linket to the old name.

I tryed change name of storage but VC told me that the name allreadi exist.

I do not why it happend but I still can not run my VM.

any help?

thanks

Pawel

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If your storage is named with snap- anything, then have a look at your storage. For some reason, the same LUNs are being seen as snapshot LUNs, or mirror'd LUNs, and not as the original. Hence, the snap- something name. It also appears that you have LUN Resignature enabled as well, which would be why your LUNs were renamed again, to the new snap-something. Go into the esx server configuration, advanced configuration, and LVM, and turn EnableResignature off. Then, make sure you are presenting the LUNs as the same LUN id to both hosts, and that is not changing.

The vm's typically will get registered with the full name, so that is why they are not seen correctly. Until you unregister the vm's that use the old storage name, you can not rename back to the old name. Unregister all your vm's that use the old name, then rescan your hba's, then you can rename to whatever you want, and then re-register the vm's.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos