VMware Cloud Community
Ytsejamer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM not using datastores it's supposed to be...

During testing of our system for slow drive performance on a bunch of VMs in one of our VMware clusters (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/159179?tstart=0), we shut off the VMs. After that we adjusted some NFS settings on our Netapp filers and restarted the NFS service. Note, our VMs were completely shut down, but the ESX hosts remained on. They lost connection to the datastores, but reconnected successfully.

We brought up each VM. Three of the four VMs started normally, and their drives used the correct datastores. One of them however did not.

We have an OS, App, and Swap datastore for all VMs to use. C drive is on OS, App is on E, and Swap is on H or something. Our EMC EmailXtender server VM was set up to use two additional datastores for the application. Those were named xtendermq_index (contains message queuing and index drives (D and E)- this machine does not use App01 datastore), and xtender_containers (contains our container volumes, this is drive F.

When we brought up the server again, the swap drive (H) was brought up on the OS datastore, and Drive D and E were again using OS datastore. New .VMDK files were created on the OS datastore, but the old ones are still present on the proper datastores, but the machine isn't utilizing those stores anymore. Now i've got vmdks on the OS datastore named servername_000009.vmdk. It seems VMware decided to create new vmdk files on the OS datastore. I'm not sure what it did with the data to ensure that everything continues to work. The vmdk files on the datastores they were previously using are still present. Are the new vmdk files just pointers to the true vmdk files on the proper datastores?

It's very strange and I'm not sure why this happened. I mean, the VMs were shutdown completely...one would think when they came back up, they'd use the datastores we had the configured the VM harddisks to use. Any thoughts? I hope I was able to explain it properly...

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NHCdmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Alasorsa, I can't help you here, however I'll be watching this thread closely as this has happened to me also !.....

Our situation : ( SAN with SAS (server files)and SATA ( users storage ) drives )

our VM file server needed rebooted and when it came back up the users storage moved to SAS for some unknown reason...

You said : " The vmdk files on the datastores they were previously using are still present. Are the new vmdk files just pointers to the true vmdk files on the proper datastores? ", I'd like to know the answer to this also.....

Good luck, and I'll be watching closely

Dmont

0 Kudos
Ytsejamer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, I worry that if I try to do a migration of datastores to my other filer head, that it won't take everything along for the ride...I may decide to give VMWare a buzz just in case. It's our email archive server and if something happens to it, I'll be a very unhappy camper.

I did move one of my VMs over to the other filter NFS volume, and for a 20gb os drive and 4gb swap file, it took about five hours. I hate to think how long it'll take moving a 260gb containers drive, 100gb index drive, etc, etc...blech.

0 Kudos
Ytsejamer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My bad... I did an upgrade of the software a few weeks ago and took a couple snapshots. I left the snapshots in place (forgot about them actually) and VMWare was creating delta vmdk files on the default datastore where the OS is located. In anycase, as soon as I deleted the snapshots, it put everything back into place and VI client shows that the system is again using the correct datastores.

The tech indicated that keeping snapshots in place will also kill performance...however my slow drive performance didn't go away...but that's a separate Netapp filer issue.

0 Kudos