VMware Cloud Community
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

VM migration to ESX3.5 - scp vmdk & vmx

Hi...

ESX3.5 is in VC2.5 & esx2.5 is not in any VC. I'm trying to copy the vmdk & vmx files from esx2.5 to 3.5 through scp.

scp alwasy comes with an error -"ssh: connect to host XX.XX.XX.XX port 22: Connection timed out" I've opened the port for both SSH server & client for esx3.5 through VC. I did also confirm that both the service - sshServer & sshClient are enabled. i did esxcfg-firewall --allowIncoming in esx3.5. I'm able to telnet to both the servers in port 22 from my workstation. I couldnt check the firewall ports in esx2.5, as esx-firewall command doesnt work.

Can anyone pls. help me in this, as WinSCP is terribly slow - takes 16 hrs to copy 5GB of vmdk. All this bcos esx2.5 is not in any VC

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Datto
Expert
Expert

We've had this when duplex wasn't set correctly in the NIC and/or switch port. You might want to take a quick look and verify duplex is set to Full Duplex on both sides of the file transfer as well as at the switch ports.

Also, you might look at the free Veeam FastSCP product and see if that is faster for you. Many times Veeam FastSCP worked through any transfer problems we were having with WinSCP without having to spend much time troubleshooting.

http://www.veeam.com

Datto

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

Try this, make sure you can putty into the host that is having the ssh issue. Go to etc/ssh and nano the file sshd_config. Make sure you have the PermitRootLogin set to yes. Now, use Veeam FastSCP and use your root password to get to the host you want. That should work.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos