VMware Cloud Community
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM migration times out

I am trying to migrated a powered off VM. The migrations completes to 39% and then times out. The error message isn't particularly helpful. It says "Operation timed out." Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a configurable timer associated with migrations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try removing the VM from the VC's inventory (do not delete from disk), then add it back before you try vmotion again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You might want to dig through your VC logs.... by default they are at..

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

Then take a look at the vpxd-#.log..... Look for one with the closest time stamp... and try another migration then go open the log file.. that might help you out.

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

What are you migrating from and to? Are you moving the files or just a cold vmotion? If you are moving the files is there enough space on the data store you are moving it to? Is there enough free space on the existing data store?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

You could be exceeding the VC timeout values. A different, but similar, issue is doc'd here with the possible solution: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100850...

glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting post. The VM I'm trying to migrate has a snapshot. I set up a job to migrate the VM late in the evening just to make sure I didn't have a network congestion problem. The migration still failed. I concluded that the snapshot itself must be playing a part in this and I removed it because we really didn't need it. Unfortunately, the migration still failed. I'll reconfigure the times as the kb article explains and try again. I'll let you know what happens.

0 Kudos
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not able to access this document. I get an error message that says I am not authorized. Is it posted somewhere else?

Thanks

0 Kudos
bkwiatkowski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Were you able to get to the KB article, I receive the same access error. As well, am having the exact same problem with migrating a machine with vmotion. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try removing the VM from the VC's inventory (do not delete from disk), then add it back before you try vmotion again.

0 Kudos
bkwiatkowski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My VM is up and running, was hoping to vmotion it as I need to add memory to the physical server and can't bring the VMs down righ now.

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

bkwiatkowski,

Welcome to the forums!

There are many reasons why an operation might time out. Your issue may be different from the initial poster's especially since yours is a vmotion, and the migration being referred to here is a cold migration. I'd suggest starting a new thread and posting what you see in the logs.

--sanjana

Message was edited by: Sanjana

D-oh! Fix grammar.

0 Kudos
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removing the Vm from the inventory and adding it back worked. But, I'd still like to have access to the document mentioned in the above post.

0 Kudos
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to open this document once. When I try to open it now I get a message that says I'm not authorized to access it. The document appeared to contain some good information that I have not been able to locate elsewhere. Are you able to open it?

Greg

0 Kudos
bkwiatkowski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have not been able to locate the document elsewhere, but have been able to resolve my issue. Appears as though the network people in our office made a change to the network that I was using for VMotion with out informing me and once I noticed this and resolved IP issues for the new network the migration went as advertised.....

Please let me know if you do find the document, as I would really like to get a copy of it since it sounds as though there is a lot of very good information contained in it.

Thanks for the help.

Barry

0 Kudos
glucot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Barry,

I posted a new thread in VI: esx 3.5 asking about the document. Here's a

link to the thread if you want to follow it:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/207272.

Greg

0 Kudos