VMware Cloud Community
Borracho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM migration from geographically seperate ESX servers

Greetings,

I built a vm in ESX 3.5 for a client and need to export this to them and have them import it into their ESX infrastructure. The problem is that there is no connectivity from our servers to theirs.

Ideally, I would like to export the VM onto an ext USB drive and take it to them to import into their ESX servers. I have never done this before, but have exported VMs for our other engineers to use on their Workstation or Player version.

Also, if I change the size of the partitions to something that may sit on a DVD, during the import process will they be able to resize the partitions to their liking?

Any other ideas would be great too.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This pdf will take you through using Converter to export an ESX 3 guest to an OVF destination.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual303.pdf

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can use Converter for this exact function. Export it from your current ESX environment and resize the disks and then they can Import and Resize. Obviously, before sending to a client I would test it out once or twice to proof all your steps and instructions for them, but Converter is a great tool for your use in this case.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

export it out to OVF formtat burn to cd/USB drive and then import into your clients VI-3 environment -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Borracho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not exactly sure where the Convertor is, but I do know that I installed the Enterprise Convertor on the VC.

I know that if I go Right click on the VM, then I get an Export Wizard, but it doesn't seem apparent to me that I can export this to a version of ESX 3.

I also know that I can go to File, Virtual Applicance, Export and this is the ovftool enbedded in VC, but I get an error after specifying a Name and Directory:

"Failed to export cirtual appliance. An item with he same key has already been added." I have no clue what this error is, but if using the OVFTool is the way to go, then I would rather use that vs the Convertor.

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This pdf will take you through using Converter to export an ESX 3 guest to an OVF destination.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual303.pdf

0 Kudos
Borracho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect!!! Worked like a charm. Thanks a mil!!!

0 Kudos