VMware Cloud Community
randomnutuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM images stuck at 95% restarting??

Hi,

We have 3 virtual machines currently stuck at 95% restarting. The problem started when we realised we could not open a console (said could not connect to vmx process). Tried to restart and getting this error.

I am using the free version of ESXi 3.5, all advice appreciated.

many thanks

Edit just to add, I don't want to reboot the host server, there are 10 other live servers running on it. cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanLewis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stuck at 95% can also mean that there is a question pending.

Log in via the console (alt-f1 and then hit enter to get the prompt back, alt-f11 will get you back to the main screen) or log in via SSH.

The command is vmware-cmd is the path to your vmx file for the vm. Something like /vmfs/volumes/SANLUN/Server/server.vmx

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

try restarting your management service

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

randomnutuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks, so I can restart the management network without disrupting the rest of the images? How can you do this remotely?

I tried logging on at the machine, and read somewhere to press alt-f2 to get to the console login prompt. After pressing, it went from the esx screen to terminal showing kernel messages, with no visible way to get back to previous. Have I screwed this up and now needs a reboot?

I'm fairly new to esx, so a step by step would be appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
DanLewis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stuck at 95% can also mean that there is a question pending.

Log in via the console (alt-f1 and then hit enter to get the prompt back, alt-f11 will get you back to the main screen) or log in via SSH.

The command is vmware-cmd is the path to your vmx file for the vm. Something like /vmfs/volumes/SANLUN/Server/server.vmx

0 Kudos