VMware Cloud Community
Stephan_Graller
Contributor
Contributor

VM freezes during VCB snapshot creation

Hello all!

I guess, many of you have the same problem:

Upon snapshot creation - either manually or triggerd by VCB - the VM freezes for a moment and all network connections are lost.

This is fatal in production environments esp with SQL databases. Data loss and/or corruption may occur.

It is very annoying with VCB and almost makes it useless, because there is no real time windows for backup first it almost impossible to terminate all network activity and second the time when the snapshot is deleted again after the export is done varies.

Does anyone of you have a workaround or knowledge how VMWare thinks about this?

many thanx,

Stephan

Message was edited by:

Stephan Grallert

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately, there is a possibility with the way that snapshots work. In general, I find if you do NOT pass the quiesce option for the snapshot or disable the Legato sync driver it will be more responsive.

Thomas H. Bryant III
Stephan_Graller
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, that's very promising!

I tried from the console and at least while creating the snapshot the VMs keeps resonding to pings. Have to dig further into SQL connections during that time.

But still when deleting the snapshots, at least one ping drops.

How can I make the quiesce=no option default for VC and VCB?

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am working on the same issue but not on DB servers. In ESX 3.5 U2 + latest version of VMtools you have possibility use VMware VSS component which should crash consistently make snapshot on SQL server.

But I have eperiences that If you deleting delta file after backup few packet are sometime lost.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You could just remove the Sync drivers from your VM... Might be the best workaround to have a "no quiesce" option for specific vm's.

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos