VMware Cloud Community
si-sys
Contributor
Contributor

VM fails to boot after beeing imported with Converter plugin

Hi,

I received a virtual machine (Debian Etch) that works perfectly under VMware Server 1.0.4. I tried to import it in an ESX 3.5 host with the new Converter plugin (The old converter doesn't work) but the VM fails to boot :

GRUB dies with an "Error 18" message. As if it was unable to access the /boot partition...

I tried to review the VM's settings but I get weird warnings about :

- Vcenter being unable to find "memory informations for the guest OS and using the legacy defaults"

- When I try to access the SCSI virtual card, I get an error about an uninstanciated object from the VIclient.

Any idea about what went wrong during the import ?

Regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
divintas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

did the converter finish successfull? If yes can you post the vmx config here? A few month ago I did a linux import aswell and the converter changed the SCSI card from BusLogic to LSI or vice versa. That yould be a good explanation why /boot could not found (Wrong driver in initrd). Maybe check the source VM for used cardtype.

This is fully supported :

*Virtual Machines and System Images That Can Be Imported

VMware Server 1.x

So you are able to open a SR at VMware if you have support.

0 Kudos
si-sys
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the late answer. We already tried changing the SCSI adaptor type but that is not the only problem : every modification we do in the "Edit settings" dialog are dropped. It looks as if our .vmx was empty (but it is not).

0 Kudos