VMware Cloud Community
BAR68
Contributor
Contributor

VM disappeared

I had a VM up and running in our production environment and even had a third party vendor looking at their own application. The vendor lost RDP and called me. On our VIC i noticed that the machine had been powered down. I tried to power on and recieved a general systems error. I browsed the VM knowledge base and ran across something stating that i should look at the data store. I did this and there were no records of this machine even existed. I was on the phone with Dell to figure this out and they agreed that this machine was there but can find evidence of it. No logs showed this device on any of my hosts or in the our SAN storage. Has any one seen this or had this happen to them? It is my understanding to delete and VM it needs to powered down before deletion. We had disabled root login through ssh as well. It as thought it just vanished.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

It is my understanding to delete and VM it needs to powered down before deletion. We had disabled root login through ssh as well. It as thought it just vanished.

Someone deleted it. Call CSI. They don't just dissapear unless someone hits the 'delete' button. So no never seen this, but problems like this do occur, it's called 'people make mistakes'

On our VIC i noticed that the machine had been powered down.

Whoever did that, probably is the culprit.

COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would SSH into your ESX server and check /var/log/messages and see if anyone ran the command su. Who has access to your ESX server? I have never seen a VM just disappear so someone either acceidently or on purpose deleted this VM. And it would be very difficult to accidentily delete it.

david

mehul96
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM's don't disappear!

Yes, it is a pain when such things happen but in retrospect it will circle back to security.

You should be able to go thru the logs to identify who did what

Mehul

0 Kudos
BAR68
Contributor
Contributor

I had Dell look at all the logs and we could not see it in any of them except on one host and it just stated that it was powered on 4 days ago.

0 Kudos
BAR68
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for all the info

0 Kudos