VMware Cloud Community
travesty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM deleted but IP is still active

ESX 3.5

VIC 2.5

I deleted a VM from disk and after it had been deleted I pinged the IP to make sure it wasn't available and I received packets. Do anybody know why this IP is still active after the VM that was using it was deleted??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good to hear that you were able to resolve this issue. One thing that I have seen in the past is were a failed vmotion attempt causes a VM to dissappear from VirtualCenter but still remains active on an ESX host. So with the large amount of ESX hosts it is easiest to just search the managed switch's arp cache to see which host is serving it up and you can use the VI client to login to that server and you should be able to see that VM still registered and running on that server. If you feel that this issue has been resolved for you, please ensure to award the points. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
travesty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just tried doing a remote desktop connection to the IP and I couldn't connect through the DNS. Oddly enough the server had be renamed to "DEAD".

0 Kudos
CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You might want to perform an ARP entry lookup to see if perhaps it may just be another node that is on your network. Try to ping the device and then type "arp -a" and the see what MAC address is associated with that particular IP address. Remember that VMs will typically be assigned MAC addresses that are within this range 00:0C:29:xx:xx:xx and 00:50:56:xx:xx:xx so if the ARP entry resolve any other MAC address outside of this range then it mostlikely is another device with the same IP address. Good luck.

0 Kudos
travesty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The MAC starts with 00-1e, so it looks like it falls within the VM MAC range you gave. Within the VIC there are no VM's with the active IP address however. So I'm still stumped.

0 Kudos
vmware_admins1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any chance this is a DHCP assigned IP address and another machine picked it up?

Given that you know the MAC address you should be able to find the VM that has it.

CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How many ESX hosts are running in your infrastructure? Do you have managed switches? You can use managed switches to find the matching ARP entry and that will narrow down which ESX host is running that particular VM. Then you can run ESXTOP and/or "ps -ef | grep vmware" to find the world IDs of the VMs that are running on that host. You could then run the kill command on the process that is running that VM's world ID.

travesty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cisco,

Taking your suggestions I was able to find the VM and IP address. Thanks.

0 Kudos
CiscoKid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good to hear that you were able to resolve this issue. One thing that I have seen in the past is were a failed vmotion attempt causes a VM to dissappear from VirtualCenter but still remains active on an ESX host. So with the large amount of ESX hosts it is easiest to just search the managed switch's arp cache to see which host is serving it up and you can use the VI client to login to that server and you should be able to see that VM still registered and running on that server. If you feel that this issue has been resolved for you, please ensure to award the points. Thanks.

0 Kudos