VMware Cloud Community
vanglabekea
Contributor
Contributor

VM dead during/after ESX backup with esXpress

Hi,

we're running 2 ESX servers 3.01 connected to an HP EVA4000. Each server is hosting 20 VMs. Backups are taken at night using esXpress 3.02.

Sometimes (once a week) we have a VM that doesn't respond anymore after a backup has been made. No Console possible & no more reply on ping. When launching the VI Client, it shows an active task for that unresponsive VM: Remove all snapshots. Nothing happens anymore. It's not always the same VM. Since we migrated in from 2.53 to 3.01 on the 9th of Jan, I saw this issue 4 or 5 times already. Mostly on our ESX1 server, but since last weekend on our ESX2 server too. When going to Snapshot Manager for that VM, there is indeed a snapshot present but all buttons are greyed out. So I can't delete it manually.

The only solution I have is to Vmotion all running VMs to the outer ESX server, reboot the first one & Vmotion back again. After this, the VM is running again.

Anyone have any clue what's going on with this snapshotting? Why it can't remove the existing one?

I have opened a support request at esXpress too, but I'm not certain this is an esXpress issue. We have a license for our VI. Does this mean we can open a support request at VMware for free?

Thanks.

Alain

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kitcolbert
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What does the vmware.log show for the hung VM?

0 Kudos
fsjon
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, we have the same issue. One vm out of 21 vms freezes like you describe.

Did you solve this?

0 Kudos
kharbin
Commander
Commander

Is this a Netware VM?

0 Kudos
rodah
Contributor
Contributor

We also had this same issue, but with ESX-ranger. It was a W2003 VM that freezed for us during backup.

0 Kudos