VMware Cloud Community
alexaaaaaaaa
Contributor
Contributor

VM alarm, trouble with action power off a VM

Hello,

I have a VM in VC and I want to create an alarm on its state.

That's run well, I receive a mail when it is power off.

I want to add an action (or to create a new alarm with a new action) called Power on a VM.

When I select this action in alarm setting, I can't enter the name of the VM, in value. Is this normal??? Is this action by default active for this VM?

Then when I click on OK (with nothing in value) I have this error message: Check if the name is properly formatted.Please use alphanumeric characters from a-z, A-Z and 0-9.

Could you help me?

Thanks regards,

Alex

My VM name is ws-server... I have just tested to set this same alarm on a VM named SME and that appear to work...

Does VMware not allow "-"?????? It's a shame I have 20 VMs in prod I can't change 20 VM names?

Message was edited by: alexaaaaaaaa

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Oczkov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alex,

I have got the same problem. I am sure it is related to the "Notes" filed for every virtual machine, where you can put some more descriptions. When I e.g. deploy a new VM from template, where I had some initial text in it and then try to edit it I am getting the same error as you: "Check if the name is properly formatted.Please use alphanumeric characters from a-z, A-Z and 0-9"

I believe this bug was intruduced in VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Upd 1 or 2. I haven't got any problems with this in earlier releases of VC (like 2.0.2). What is even more annoying for me is that I could use Polish signs in the text before and now it is not acceptable for this field!! I will probably open a Support Case on this with VMware, because we extensively use the "Notes" text field.

Maybe the workarround for your case will be deleting all text in the Notes fields for all VM's?

Best regards,

Oczkov

0 Kudos