VMware Cloud Community
jfleming
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Cold Migration "In Progress" for over 2 hours

I upgraded one of our ESX servers to v 3.5 and moved a VM image onto the new server with no problems (The new 3.5 servers are in a cluster) - we had an engineer move the VM from a 3.5 cluster back to a 3.0.2 ESX server with no problems (Due to some temporary resource issues) - when moving the VM back to the 3.5 cluster- the vm seems to be stuck in the "In Progress" state and has been in this state for a few hours. The VM was migrated cold (Powered Off) and I cannot seem to cancel the process within the VI client-

Is there anyway to kill this process and/or any suggestions on getting this VM back to a functional state?? Anyone have any issues like this??

0 Kudos
5 Replies
brekus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried restarting the VC agent service on the hosts? I have seen where VC dosent update properly. I dont know if that would kill the migration if it was still running though. I do know if you restart the virutal center service it should kill the migration process without effecting other running VM's.

0 Kudos
jfleming
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried restarting the hostd and vpx service/agent on both the target host and the host I was migrating from, the VM's now show up in the VI client as "Orphaned"- I have not tried restarting the VC service yet. Funny enough - I added another 3.5 host to the cluster and tried migrating a VM from this host to the other host in the cluster and experienced the same problem.

I also tried placing the host in maintenance mode so I can remove from the cluster and re-add to VC and trying to enter maintenance mode has the same bahavior ("In Progress" state) and it's not moving... I will update this thread if I come across anything.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hello,

Make sure the hosts can resolve each other DNS issues can cause this behavior.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
jfleming
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Restarting the Virtual Center service and ex agents resolved the issue- I had to re-add the orphaned VM's back into the inventory though...

0 Kudos
brekus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great! If you found anything helpfull please award points.

0 Kudos