VMware Cloud Community
WSP_Andy
Contributor
Contributor

VM Automatic Startup Not Working

Greetings everyone -

My ESX server hard-locked this morning which is due to a flaw in the IBM server it is running on but when it came back up, my VM's didn't automatically start back up.

I have the auto-startup capability enabled and the order configured in VirtualCenter. When I was running 2.5.4 and configured this through the MUI, everything worked fine. This time though (my first reboot with 3.0.2), my VM's didn't startup when the ESX server came back up. I'm wondering why...

Does VirtualCenter control the automatic startup or is the ESX host itself still responsible for it? I would hope it's the second option. Because when an ESX host goes down, VirtualCenter disconnects from it. Therefore, how is it supposed to start VM's when the ESX server returns? That doesn't make sense to me. If anyone can explain which component is responsible for actually RUNNNG the auto-startup sequence (VirtualCenter or the ESX host), I'd appreciate it.

And of course... has anyone else had this issue of the VM's not coming up automatically?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this a Single host,Or you have a cluster.

Is HA enabled?

please answer these questions...ask your question is kind of ambigous.

Thanks,

Paras

0 Kudos
WSP_Andy
Contributor
Contributor

HA is not enabled and it is a single ESX host.

Regarding ambiguity, what I'm primary concerned about are two things;

1. Finding out which component of the Infrastructure, either VirtualCenter or the ESX host itself, is responsible for running the automatic startup sequence when an ESX host goes down and comes back up.

2. Has anyone had the auto-startup sequence simply not work? In my case, my ESX host hard-locked, I had to hard-power it down. VirtualCenter lost contact with the host, obviously. When the ESX server came back up, I had to reboot the VirtualCenter server to regain contact. When everything both the VirtualCenter server and the ESX host came back up, nothing started. Was my mistake rebooting the VirtualCenter server? Would it have reconnected on its own? I've never seen it happen, but I could be wrong.

0 Kudos