VMware Cloud Community
nsusa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VLan ID Change

I will have to change the VLan ID for a subnet on one of my virtual switches. While the actual task is easy, the question I have is - will the change be seamless or will the switch have problems doing the proper tagging afterwards? Do I need to reboot the host server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Nope, it's seemless. You just select your portgroup and give it a new VLAN ID using the esxcfg-vswitch command via the console, or you can just go through Virtual Center or if you're running an individual ESX Host (configuration->networking). Select your vSwtich and portgroup and just set it. As long as the VLAN is the right one with the right subnet, then any VMs that were attached to that portgroup should continue working.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Nope, it's seemless. You just select your portgroup and give it a new VLAN ID using the esxcfg-vswitch command via the console, or you can just go through Virtual Center or if you're running an individual ESX Host (configuration->networking). Select your vSwtich and portgroup and just set it. As long as the VLAN is the right one with the right subnet, then any VMs that were attached to that portgroup should continue working.

0 Kudos
nsusa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent. Thanks so much.

0 Kudos