VMware Cloud Community
virtech
Expert
Expert

VLAN Setup ?

I have a couple of Netgear smart switches which I am trying to configure. I have created 3 VLANs on each switch, Service Console, VMotion, VM Networks. I have then made the relevant ports connected to each of the vswitches members of the correct VLAN.

Once i set the VLAN id to the Service Console on both ESX hosts i loose total connectivity. Cant ping each other. Am i missing something here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bhadzik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you put in a VLAN id, what you are doing is enabling 802.1q VLAN tagging. This makes it so the recieving switch can interperet that flag and send the packet to the correct vlan. This enables you to send mutiple VLANs down the same cable. If you are not trying to do this, you don't need a VLAN id. If you are trying to send mutiple VLANs down the same cable, you need to ensure that the netgear is expecting tagging.

More info on 802.1q

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

If you ARE using 802.1q tagging, make sure that the VLAN you are trying to use/tag is not the default/base VLAN (I don't know the correct term). If it is, it should not need a tag on the ESX side I don't think.

0 Kudos