VMware Cloud Community
Bspeerly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VLAN Config and VLAN1

Hello, we are currently running 2 ESX 3.0.2 servers inout datacenter, host ing about 8 VMs. The servers have 4 pNICs. 2 dedicated to service consoleand vmkernel, 2 on vSwitch2. I need to enable VLANs and would like to use VST. The problem is that the service console and 2 VMs are on VLAN 1. CAn I create/enable VLANs using port groups on my other vswitches, and not have it effect access to the service console and the VMs that needt o remain on VLAN 1? I know using VLAN is not a best practice, but the network is that way, and it's not something that could easly be changed, so I'm trying to find a way to do both.

Feel free to ask any questions/clarifications

Thanks or the help

Brian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're not missing anything. Keep the service console connections as they are (in their native VLAN1).

Make the necessary trunk changes to all other cards you wish to use for multiple VLANS.

Then simply create port groups for each VLAN and assign a TAG.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The answer is 'yes'. You configure VLAN tagging at the physical switch port, so you can be very specific about which cards in the ESX server are configured for this type of activity.

Once you know which physical NICs are configured in this way you can bind the relevant cards to port groups/vswitches and set the VLAN ID's.

You can keep the service console on the VLAN1 network without any change or impact.

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

FYI: If VLAN 1 is also your native VLAN and you setup the physical switch port as a trunk than you should not tag the Port Group with a VLAN id.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

Bspeerly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I believed that to be the case, but something kept nagging me that I was missing something.

apprieciate the help.

0 Kudos
Bspeerly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VLAN 1 is my native vlan, but as long as that switchport is not a trunk, and does not have any other vlans on it, it should be fine, right? That is part of the nagging feeling that I'm missing something.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're not missing anything. Keep the service console connections as they are (in their native VLAN1).

Make the necessary trunk changes to all other cards you wish to use for multiple VLANS.

Then simply create port groups for each VLAN and assign a TAG.

0 Kudos