VMware Cloud Community
conie0012
Contributor
Contributor

VI3 v3.5 is supported "Remote Supervisor Adapter II"?

Hi all

i want to know if vmware esx3.5 is supported "Remote Supervisor Adapter II" ???? Or it have the official release to claim it??????

I use IBM "Remote Supervisor Adapter II" .

Thanks.

PS: I've seen the document "ESX Server 3 Installation Guide", it says that can install vmware esx 3.5 from Remote Supervisor Adapter II. But I am not sure if it support the card.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Can you be more specific on what you mean by "support it"? What do you exactlt want to achieve?

I usually suggest to use the RSA in out-of-band mode that is: remote KVM of the server (including the potential installation of the OS), power on/off etc etc .... low level maintenance and sanity checks. Additionally you can confiugre the RSA to send you alerts (under the form of SNMP traps, e-mails, IBM Director notifications etc etc) for general hardware monitoring.

This is supported in the sense that the RSA doesn't even bother which OS is installed (and on the other hand the OS doesn't even need to understand that there is an RSA adapter). In-band management is a bit more cumbersome and would require a driver to be loaded into the Console OS to "see" the RSA ... something that is not currently available as of today for 3.5 .... something however that I discourage "by design" (i.e. you don't want to "infect" the COS with pervasive systems management agents).

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
conie0012
Contributor
Contributor

Thank your answer...

I just want to know if the vmware 3.5 supports RSA II. As you said, it seens to not suppor "rsa ii" .

Of course, I don't use the card to manager my server. And I just think if the card is supported by VMWARE 3.5 ....

Anyway, thank your answer.....

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

I must admit that I don't (still) understand what you mean by "supported". To me "supported" is a function of what you want to do/achieve.

If you tell me what you want to achieve I can tell you if it is "supported" and if it is "not supported" we might think of workarounds.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos