VMware Cloud Community
BharathMusthy
Contributor
Contributor

VI Client connectivity Issue to ESX 3.5

Hi Guys,

I've installed VI Client 2.5 on my Kubuntu v 9.10 and bypassed the SSL part by modding the proxy.xml. At the VI Client login prompt, I specify http://<ESX 3.5 server's IP>, root/password.

I then get the background screen aftr the inventory is loaded for ESX server but at the end of that loading, I get the error message:-

VMWare Infrastructure Client could not establish a connection with server "IP".

Details: The server took too long to respond.

I'm not sure why I'm getting this as I have restarted the mgmt service on the ESX server.

I have no issues using the VI Client on my other OSs viz: Win2K3, XP (that are on the same box as my Kubuntu).

Can you please let me know what is going wrong or help me out here? Also let me know what else do I have to provide to help me resolve this issue.

Thanks guys.

Bharath

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mmathurakani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Currently, the VI Client will run only under Windows (as it’s

written in .NET), so Linux shops are forced to purchase and install

Windows to run it. An alternative web interface does exist; however, it

can only manage virtual machine operations and not the ESX hosts which

severely limits its usefulness to VMware administrators.So I think that answers as to why you are not able to successfully use vi client on linux box.

BharathMusthy
Contributor
Contributor

Any VMWare gurus out there who could hint something at this issue I'm having?

TIA

Bharath

0 Kudos
BharathMusthy
Contributor
Contributor

Any VMWare gurus out there who could help me with this ?

Thanks in advance

Bharath

0 Kudos
awliste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're working in an unsupported config, so you're going to have troubles finding help. You're in uncharted territory my friend.

I'd say start with VIC ports and network flow. Make sure your ports are all open and working - look at:

http://www.vreference.com/2009/09/22/firewall-diagram-updated-to-version-3/

Run a sniffer, make sure you're seeing what you're supposed to be seeing and not blocking traffic that you need.

I offer this as a place to start. ESX mgmt with VIC starts at 80, hands over to 443, and you'll need 902/903 for different VM functions (reference the chart.)

Good luck!

Integritas!

Abe Lister

Just some guy that loves to virtualize

==============================

Ain't gonna lie. I like points. If what I'm saying is something useful to you, consider sliding me some points for it!

Integritas! Abe Lister Just some guy that loves to virtualize ============================== Ain't gonna lie. I like points. If what I'm saying is something useful to you, consider sliding me some points for it!
0 Kudos