VMware Cloud Community
RogerAli
Contributor
Contributor

VI Client Install Error

Hey all,

Got a problem running a new install of the VI client v 2.0.1 on Windows XP SP2. Our ESX farm runs great and we have other machines successfully running the VI Client. On the new install, we have pre-installed ASP.Net 1.1 (SP1 and hotfix) and ASP.Net 2.0. After the install completes and we try to run the client we get the following error:

vpxClient.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services[/b]

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=(PROCESS ID NUMBER), Thread=(THREAD ID NUMBER).

Click OK to terminate the application.

Click CANCEL to debug the application.[/i]

Clicking OK brings up the another error:

vpxClient.exe - No debugger found.[/b]

Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch a JIT debugger with the followign command resulted in an error code of 0x2(2). Please check the computer settings.

cordbg.exe !a 0xac0

Click on Return to have the prcess wait while attaching a debugger manually.

Click Cancel to abort the JIT debug request.[/i]

I've followed the instructions from the forum post: http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=588969&#588969

That post seemed most relevant to my issue, but even reinstalling all apps failed to fix the issue. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Try a registry fix program (Registry Mechanic etc.) and is this Windows XP SP2 a NEW install, or a current XP?

The VI client is looking for something that isn't working in XP, so it's a windows problem. IT may be caused by a registry entry, which registry mechanic will fix. Try that.

Have you tried a repair of Windows XP, if this isn't a new install?

0 Kudos
Dtk
Contributor
Contributor

This is exactly the problem I ran into and I finally found the solution.

I was trying to install the VIClient on a new Windows XP Pro SP2 machine and kept getting the "Registered JIT debugger is not available" error. After pulling out my hair, and I don't have much left, I found the following problem.

The "c:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe" file was an old version 4.0 and dated 2000. I re-applied WinXP SP2 and all was swell again. Except for my hair of course!

Why it had an old regsvr32.exe, I have no idea. But after numerous re-installs of .NET frameworks v1.1 and the vi-client, I finally ran across this post from 2004. Thank you paberglund! Smiley Happy

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=994&#994

paberglund

Re: Application failure. hr = 0x80040154: (null)

Posted: Apr 11, 2004 10:44 AM in response to: rvpm

Mine was a W2003 Web Server and trying to upgrade VMWare workstation from 4.0 to 4.5.

Look for regsrv32.dll on your system - I found 2, the one in my %windir%\system32 was version 4.0.000 from 8/2000!

I looked at another system W2003 server and it had version 5.2.3790.0.

So I renamed the old one, copied the newer one over, ran the VMWare 4.5 install again and did a "repair" - this time it told me I needed to restart the system when I was done (the original install didn't). Worked fined after that.

One symptom I noticed was that the CSRSS.EXE process would take up the CPU during the install. Also, if I tried "regsvr32 /?" it would take minutes to respond with the pop-up (normally you would get it immediately) with the CSRSS.EXE process taking up the CPU. "

0 Kudos