VMware Cloud Community
SteveA11
Contributor
Contributor

VI 3.x For DR - Sanity check.

To check im not going insane and compeletly down the wrong path, can anyone see any major issues with this particualr setup.

Currently 2 (2 x dual core) Dell 2950 (will be 3)

16GB RAM

These are connected to a STK 6140 Disk Array.

Currently 1 shelf (16x73GB, 15K)

The disks are built as one large Raid 5 (15 disks) and 1 hot spare.

The intermediate fiber switches are McData 4400

We have carved the disk into 2 sepearte LUNs, one of about 550GB (vol1), and the other around 450GB (Vol2). the reason is with DR in mind (see further on), we have built several test VM's assigning the OS disks to Vol1. Once we have the OS setup, we assign a "chunk" of disk from Vol2 to every VM.

the aim is that an identical setup will be on another site and we will replicate the volitile data (vol2) via LUN to LUN replication from the SAN, and the VM OS's will be covered via some form of backup (Still trialling between VCB and ESXRanger)

One further note is that all paths are multi-homed for resiliance.

Can anyone see any major flaws in this setup, its still in early days, once finalised we will be migrating from our old (stand-alone) ESX 2.x environment onto this setup.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dbis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Steve,

I so no problem with the solution you are trying to implement. Since you have the ability to perform LUN to LUN replication, why would you not replicate the LUN's that have the OS drives as well?

This would not remove the need for a backup, but would provide you with much quicker recovery.

Daniel

0 Kudos
arisaperstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My only thought is the RAID 5 array. RAID 5 has very expensive writes. Although it is probably the best alternative for such a small SAN. If you can afford more drives, I would prefer two shelves with RAID 0+1. But if that is not an option, I would say the config sounds good.

0 Kudos
SteveA11
Contributor
Contributor

I should have clarified the LUN replication a bit better. THe OS drives are less dynamic, meaning that the files dont change that often compared to the data areas, this means we can have differing repliocation schedules for both areas.

0 Kudos