Does anyone know of a practice exam?

Charlie Gautreaux vExpert http://www.thickclouds.com
0 Kudos
192 Replies
rwmastel
Contributor
Contributor

Mike,

I agree! When studying for other tests I've found practice tests reveal my weak points and allow me to go back and study material (to learn facts) or work with test equipment (to learn tools/GUIs). I don't particularly memorize the material because I expect the tests to use different wording, different examples, and other differeneces.

I assume these "brain dump" sites are where people who have taken the exams try to pass on the exact test questions. I agree, that's not necessary at all.

Message was edited by:

rwmastel

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I took the VCP exam this morning and passed with 79. Yay for me!

Harder than I thought it would be (I didn't study, just relied on my experience and the course).

Feedback for whoever at VMware writes these questions:

\- Great exam, first IT cert I have done you just have to have some experience (i.e. cant parrot learn it all)

\- Go easy on the double negatives! "least negative" was used a lot.

\- Maybe less questions on system requirements and more on install/configure?

Feedback for whoever is about to take the test:

\- what everyone else said on this thread

\- confirming you really need to know minimum requirements, permissions/roles

\- read the questions carefully (tricky wording in some)

Dave

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

- Go easy on the double negatives! "least negative"

was used a lot.

- read the questions carefully (tricky wording in

some)

Sounds like the people who wrote the VI2 exam wrote the VI3 exam Smiley Happy

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
wcrahen
Expert
Expert

I finally took the test today as well, I got a 90%. I had my VCP 2 cert already so I wasn't required to take the class. In general, I pretty much read all the docs and white papers I can, but for the test I only studied the items mentioned on this post last night. I wish I had studied/memorized the networking stuff some more, tricky questions on the load balancing. In my opion this exam is a lot easier than the original VCP exam of 2 years ago.

0 Kudos
rickwestrate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Get ready for an echo: I too sat for the test today, and passed with a 90. I was a bit disappointed actually. I thought the test focused too much on higher level conceptual "fluff" rather than asking hard questions to see if the testee really understood VI3. The original ESX2 test was a very technical challenging test. I felt like this test was quite watered down. For preparation I gave a few of the documentation PDF's a run through, mainly focusing on the few sections that I felt I needed to brush up on. It was a wing it type thing b/c VMware is requiring it's partners to get at least one VCP up to VI3 level by Jan 1.

Good luck to all who are prepping!

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I heard they watered it down a little because early 2007 they intend to release an advanced design course and certification.

Dave

0 Kudos
SHAMRIN
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, "advanced design course" - its "VMware Infrastructure 3: Deploy, Secure & Analyze"? Or any other?

In "VMware Education Services - Course Schedule" I cant find this...

0 Kudos
rock0n
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

right, thats the new course.

0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I make the ******** demo! This test looks like easier for VCP-101

Message was edited by:

jasonboche

Please do not promote that certification cheat website.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

I sat the VCP310 exam this morning. I did not have the formal VI3 class or the upgrade class, but I was a VCP on VI2 and have been using VI3 fairly regularly for the last couple of months, including the use of iSCSI which I must say did give me an edge on the exam. Unforutnately, my lack of practical use of NAS and VCB was a negative factor. I thought I knew enough about the two conceptually but a few of the questions I got on the exam proved I needed more hands on in those areas I think I answered a few of the questions correctly but I'm also certain I answered a few of them incorrectly. Plenty of emphasis on NAS, iSCSI, VCB, and security. I also saw a few questions straight from the VI2 exam.

My studying consisted of using the VI3 products hands on for the last few months, reading the VMware VI3 quick start guide, reading and marking up the RapidApp quick start guide like it is the bible, and I cracked open a few VMware PDF files last night for a quick cram session. I actually picked up some real good pointers in the SAN config guide that helped me on the exam and will help me with my VI3 implementation at work.

Overall I think the exam was fair as others have said. I would bet good money that some questions wouldn't be answered from classroom books alone. Some questions were quite easy, some questions were more challenging in that I could have brushed up a little more, and there were a few what I will call Microsoft type questions which were tricky if you don't catch the wording. I got caught on one but luckily I re-read the question before moving on to the next question. More than one question had me second guessing myself.

I'm not a big fan of being forced to memorize trivial things such as wha pre-defined roles can do permission wise, but I did brush up on them real quick last night. As others have pointed out, knowing the pre-defined roles would serve you well for the exam.

As usual, there were a few questions that seemed to have more than one right answer. They caused me to go into a deep think but in the end I just had to choose what I thought was the best answer.

My testing computer sucked royally. It was extremely slow. Minimum time to navigate from one question to the next was 10 seconds. Sometimes it took over a minute before the screen would refresh. If there was an exhibit, go get some coffee and maybe lunch. All the while during the delays, the exam clock was ticking. As it turned out, I ran out of exam time reviewing my marked questions. I probably had 15-20 questions marked for review but I only got to review about 4 or 5 before my time expired. I complained to the proctor after the exam. She said the computer seemed slow to boot up for her but she thought nothing of it. She also said it missed its updates over the weekend, whatever that means. She was going to have the tech team look at it. Maybe I'll get a free voucher out of the deal. I'll need to retake the exam if I decide to become an instructor on VI3. I missed the VCI mark by a small margin. But as they say, a pass is a pass.

PS, test is 75 questions, 95 minutes. Whoever said earlier it's 75 minutes is incorrect.

Jas

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
specialk
Contributor
Contributor

..whereabouts could I possibly source this rapidapp quickstart guide..?

thank you!

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

RapidApp was handing them out at VMworld but they ran out of hard copies. I believe they were having another run and possibly an updated version to back updates in VI3 2.0.1/3.0.1. There was supposed to be an annoucement made on the VMware website but it hasn't materialized yet.

I've mostly been using the book for our VI3 rollout at work. It is very good for learning the ropes quick, however, I wouldn't recommend reading every fact in it verbatim for the exam. There are a few innaccuracies here and there. I've marked up my copy with the corrections. Still a FANTASTIC resource though and I am greatful to RapidApp and Ron Oglesby for it.

// <--- my daughter just walked up and typed this on the keyboard. I guess she has already chosen Linux!

0 Kudos
itcpa
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree, I passed the exam with an 87 and I honestly never looked at the student guide. All my studying was in the San config, ressource management, installation and server config guide.

the studend guide is simply too weak.

0 Kudos
GlenMarquis2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

\

• gets my vote.

Message was edited by:

jasonboche

Cheat website not to be propegated on these forums.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

..whereabouts could I possibly source this rapidapp

quickstart guide..?

thank you!

http://www.lulu.com/content/712361

9.99 for download and 19.99 for hard copy…

0 Kudos
specialk
Contributor
Contributor

Oh nice one! Thanks v much for that..

0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I failed!!! 66% :(!!!!

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

I failed!!! 66% :(!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that. What study methods did you use and what areas did you have trouble with on the exam?

0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I study the official material, the instalattion and administration Guide. I have some tips, to helpme in my next test?????

Message was edited by:

zenariga

0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another material, for exemple Administrator Guide of VMWare Server is recomended???

0 Kudos