Does anyone know of a practice exam?

Charlie Gautreaux vExpert http://www.thickclouds.com
0 Kudos
192 Replies
kevingj
Contributor
Contributor

Jon,

What date did you take the exam? I'm still waiting I expect it's coming over on a boat... it might even be virtualized lol.

The numbering is strange I thought it would be from 0 do you? I was trying to work out which country had the exam first they will have the lowest numbering, Is you vcp number close to 10000 Jon?

Kev.

0 Kudos
J2Jonner
Contributor
Contributor

I took the exam October 6th, and the welcome kit arrived some time last week while I was away. The certificate indicates that I'm number 10025. I didn't think that they would overlap the 2.5.x VCP range, but didn't know where they would start. I'm assuming it was 10000, as I took the test shortly after it was available from VUE. I guess there will be no 9000-10000 VCPs ever..Don't think 2.5.x VCPs will get that high before the exam is discontinued.

Jon

0 Kudos
Alfy
Contributor
Contributor

The current VI3 training could use some improvements, that’s for sure.

I think anyone with access to two hosts, a small SAN and some trial licensing, complemented by the VMware official on line documentation, can gain more knowledge in four days in a lab setup on their own rather than taking a class.

While the test should not be written by instructors (thank God), considering the costs associated with such training, the material could be more in depth. A trainer that actually knows the product inside out might help as well Smiley Happy

The prohibitive costs associated with VMware, will keep the number of VCP’s under control, but hey good to hear that VMware still takes their certification seriously, as far as protecting its value goes.

If one has hands on experience with a Enterprise setup, HA and so on, the exam should not be very difficult.

0 Kudos
kevingj
Contributor
Contributor

Jon

I’ve just received my certification and the letter stated, because I was already a VCP I would keep my VCP number so my number is in the 6000 range, so it looks like VMware are using the same numbering system for VCP in Vi3. No benefits like Workstation or any other offers Smiley Sad never mind.

Kev.

0 Kudos
kevingj
Contributor
Contributor

When I took the previous ESX 2.5x course it was extremely in depth I believe I had a good trainer who was on the white board all the time explaining each subject in great depth. The new VI 3 course is geared more for the admin, a colleague of mine has posted previously in this thread about VMware releasing an advanced course and certification it’s clear VMware are still lagging slightly in the educational department I’m sure they will improve.

Kev.

0 Kudos
J2Jonner
Contributor
Contributor

I agree Kev, I believe that if you are an existing 2.x VCP, you retain your existing VCP number and now just state that you are VI3 certified. But if you are VI3 certified only, I believe your VCP number will be greater than 10000. My hypothesis anyway.

Cheers,

Jon

0 Kudos
Wscholz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi everybody,

passed the exam today with 86%. My experience was that the course materials are not enough. You have to learn everything that is in the official Guides from VMware. Regarding practice experience i would like to encourage those of you who don´t have guru status so far Smiley Wink I have ESX Server experience (2.5 and 3) for about 3 -4 month´s so you could consider me a newbie. All in all i think that it is a fair test about every aspect of the ESX environment and if you know your stuff it will be ok.

cu

wolfgang

Message was edited by:

Wscholz

------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found my answer useful please consider marking it as "correct" or "helpful". Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
alexk1
Contributor
Contributor

Wscholz,

can you shed the light on key questions

Thanks,

\- Alex

0 Kudos
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shoot any questions you might have...

0 Kudos
Roanry
Contributor
Contributor

Well everyone I am at VMWorld I am taking the exam at 3pm. I will let everyone know how it went.

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Other than the example questions on the VCP page, do VMware have any other practice questions?

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BTW - Like the VCP blueprint outline, looks to be very handy!

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
alexk1
Contributor
Contributor

Click on the link to view 11 pages of VMware Certified Professional Blueprint Outline.

http://mylearn1.vmware.com/lcms/mL_faq/528/VCP%20on%20VI3%20Blueprint.pdf

Alex

0 Kudos
Wscholz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well this is difficult because in my Exam there were questions from nearly every Topic of the Documentation. Resource Pools, DRS, HA, Storage, Networking, everything was there. So you should work through the Documentation and you will be fine. I prepared myself for the Exam 3 weeks with studying the Course material and documentations.

Regards

Wolfgang

------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found my answer useful please consider marking it as "correct" or "helpful". Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
thickclouds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very true. Questions are all over the board.

Charlie Gautreaux vExpert http://www.thickclouds.com
0 Kudos
StartESX
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

In my case, I'm going to pass vcp monday. I'm very stressed, beacause it's my first job, and my first certification... And if I have not this exam, I lost my job.

could you encourage me ? Smiley Happy

ps : escuse me if there are some mistake in my language, I'm french, I hope evry one undersand me

0 Kudos
avarcher
Commander
Commander

Agree, read the PDFs.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you lose you job because you fail the exam I think you should not be working there, this is the most ridiculous amount of pressure an employer can place upon an employee.....its an absolute disgrace....

I'd been very ashamed to work or be associated with any company that would do such a cruel, nasty thing to any employee....and hope if this turely is the case a form of prosecution is bought against them...

My heart goes out to you, dude and good luck .... pass the exam and move on to a proper company.

Zippy

0 Kudos
VirtualFred
Contributor
Contributor

After 2 weeks of hard studiyng (8h30am-11h30pm), I just passed the VC310 yesterday.

I scored 91.

0 Kudos
seamusobr
Contributor
Contributor

I must say I am very disappointed with the quality of the documents I obtained from the VI3 course.

I passed the vI3 exam does anyone know whether you get free vmware workstation as it was not mentioned in the welcome kit which I got when I passed

0 Kudos