Does anyone know of a practice exam?

Charlie Gautreaux vExpert http://www.thickclouds.com
0 Kudos
192 Replies
NvB
Contributor
Contributor

Passed the exam yesterday - 7/1/08

When I was preparing to study for this exam I googled "VCP Practice Exam" and this forum post is what popped up.

Materials used:

The flash cards mentioned earlier in the forum - Beware, there have been some changes in the material since they were made. I went over each one and corrected a few changes. One that springs to mind is the default number ports on a new switch. The answer according to the manual is 56 though the cards insist the answer is 24. I recommend that you go over them too.

The PDFS at the top of this page - They go over what is in the course handbook, but much more in depth. Plus they give practical steps on achieving whatever it is you are currently reading about. Worth a read, but I didnt kill myself reading them. Some of them are quite long and can be skim read. Although I did find them useful for going over Resource Pools, which I though the handbook skimped on.

Course Handbook - Obviously very useful. Covers 95% of what I met in the exam if a little light on detail at some points.

Exam questions:

No brain dump here, just comments in what I saw. There are a few exhibit exams, but nothing requiring input. Just a few graphics to help describe the point of the question.

Basically, know your Resource Pools, User Accounts and Storage (ISCSI, NAS, SAN) and you will be fine.

Anyone who has done an MCP, or CCNA/P will find this exam a breeze.

0 Kudos
rschmidt1300
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NvB,

Congratulations on passing the exam. You can find an errata sheet for the flash cards I came up with in the thread at:

http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=15947

If you could let me know what other corrections you came up with I would like to add them to the errata sheet.

Thanks and congratulations again,

Rob

0 Kudos
Play5tat10n
Contributor
Contributor

Passed the Exam, more than a year after taking the classes!

I've been using VMWare for over two years now and it really helped in the exam, to have hands-on experience with the products. We primarily use VI3 and all additional components, along with VDI, Fusion and VMWare Server

Materials used:

• The pdfs described earlier (Manuals/Product Documentations)

• Flash Cards by Rob Schmidt.....Very Userful

• Special Documents (iSCSI, UserRoles, Perf Tuning)

Thank you everybody for all the information. This thread was my regularly visited thread in pre-preparation of the test.

Keep up the good work!!

Thanks Again.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Passed the test on Fri 2/8/08

Wanted to thank Rob for his flash cards, they were really nice to review with. PDF's were a bit dry to read through but ultimately with the book and the information on here made the test much easier than it would've been without things like the flash cards.

Didn't get that many questions on resources, but a ton on iSCSI which was a definate weakness for me seeing we only have a fiber channel SAN in our enviroment.

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I took the exam and failed with 64 on Tuesday. Haven't had much hands on experience as I'm only just getting the hardware purchased now, but I'm trying to sit the exam before the 3.5 exam comes in. (only tool the course in mid Jan- would have held off if I'd known the exam was going to be discontinued that quickly)

I studied the course notes, flash cards, the vcp online quiz (consistently scored over 90%), installation guide, config maximums, san guide, iscsi guide.

The exam asked some questions about mscs clustering which I had not come across in my studying, and can't recall it being mentioned in the course.

It also asked for differences between server 1 and esx server 3, and exact permission levels for users in VC, which I had not studied to that level of detail.

I am disappointed that I put in so much effort in studying and learning yet failed.Perhaps a more clear indication of what exactly needs to be studied would be good - some of those pdfs are over 200 pages each, and learning it all in case a question comes up just seems like an impossible task ?:|

Rebooked for 5 days time....

0 Kudos
jakganesh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Message was edited by: jasonboche

No brain dump links allowed here.

I'll skip my soap box speech on how brain dumping ruins the certification process.

Message was edited by: jasonboche

No brain dump links allowed here.

I'll skip my soap box speech on how brain dumping ruins the certification process.

Jak
0 Kudos
VirtualGnana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I passed the exam today !

The exam was too tough, I was expecting many questions on iSCSI and SAN as posted previously, but this time the questions were from all over the VI infrastructure 3.X which is one way good to test the ability of the candidate.

As explained by others in this thread, there is no shortcut to pass this exam. I passed it only becuase I studied all the pdf mentioned in this thread and revised them atleast once. Its almost 6 months I worked on ESX and this really cost me scoring good percentage. Practical experience is a must to pass the exam.

Thanks to every one who posted their inputs and views, I was a frequent visitor on this thread while preparing for the exam and this really helped me at a great extent and helped me gain more confidence.

Thanks again,

Gnaneshwara Babu

0 Kudos
jerome27
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Play5tat10n!

I would like to ask regarding what you've posted for the special documents (iSCSI, UserRoles, Perf Tuning) on what particular PDF's it is included?

Thanks and Regards,

Jerome

0 Kudos
Play5tat10n
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jerome,

Most of the documentation is already on the VI3 Documentation page on Vmware site.

Here are the ones you are looking for:

0 Kudos
jerome27
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Play5tat10n,

Thanks for the pdf's.

Regards,

Jerome

0 Kudos
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor

Looking at taking this exam shortly in the UK. Should I be revising the ESX 3.0.3 or ESX 3.5 documentation?

Thanks,

Kev

EDIT:

Didn't realise how old this topic was or when it was last updating......downloading the 3.5 manuals now...

0 Kudos
bcrosbie
Contributor
Contributor

Any suggestions on printing the flash cards?

0 Kudos
squarie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the pdf's!

squarie

0 Kudos