Does anyone know of a practice exam?

Charlie Gautreaux vExpert http://www.thickclouds.com
0 Kudos
192 Replies
Superkikim
Contributor
Contributor

I don't believe it....

The maximum nr. of port per vSwitch is 1016, not 1024. The 8 last are used by VMKernel internally. If you say 1024 to the exam, you'll give the wrong answer...

Installation and Upgrade Guide

Revision: 20060925

Item: VI-ENG-Q306-292

Memory

! 64GB of RAM per ESX Server system

Adapters

! Up to 64 adapters of all types, including storage and network adapters, per system

! Up to 20 Gigabit Ethernet or 10/100 Ethernet ports per system

! Up to 1024 ports per virtual switch

0 Kudos
Bill_Morton
Contributor
Contributor

Woo Hoo! Just passed the VCP today with an 86!

I crammed everything into a week, so it is possible. I took the VI3 course Tuesday-Friday, (8 hours/day) + intensive studying of the days material every night for ~ 5 hours. Over the weekend I read and studied the .pdf files, specifically Resource Administration, San Configuration, and Server Administration and passed Monday Morning at 9am.

All together I figure that I spent about 76 hours studying (but hey that's how I work best ... intensively on only one subject at a time).

I had also installed VI3 and read the Server Configuration guide about a month ahead of time.

For future test takers, this forum is a very good resource! Study the things mentioned here and you will do well. Also make sure to study Rob Schmidt's study questions ... they are simply great! (I printed them off 8/page on normal paper).

Now for the hardest question on the VCP: Windows or Linux on the workstation license? (Linux of course!)

0 Kudos
cperdereau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

http://vcpquiz.awardspace.com

437 questions to train with for free.

Questions created by Cyril Perdereau (me) and Rob Schmidt

0 Kudos
Superkikim
Contributor
Contributor

Passed on 6th of July, with 90 Smiley Happy Quite satisfied

Found it quite easy. It was finished in 20 minutes. But I must say I've read and read a lot of documentation 10h a day the three days before the test.

0 Kudos
vheff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gratz on the pass Superkikim! It just shows that reading all that documentation pays off!

0 Kudos
Superkikim
Contributor
Contributor

Good luck Dave. You'll be successful if you read the shown documents.

0 Kudos
gss4w
Contributor
Contributor

I am studying for the VCP and I have been reviewing the PDF documentation after having taken the class and having reviewed the student manual fairly carefully. One thing that I am wondering about is how updates to the documentation are handled. For example the student manual says that the maximum number for VM's in VirtualCenter is 2000 (module 5, page 33). The VI3 Installation and Upgrade Guide says the same thing on page 22. However, there is a note on page 22 which says that information has been updated. If you click on the note it jumps to an updated information page which says the maximum number of VM's should actually be 1500.

This is just one example of the many update notes that I have seen when reading through the documentation. I don't think that memorizing this type of information really proves that you understand how a product works. However, from reading this thread it sounds like it is important to know maximums and minimums for the exam. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to handle updates in the documentation. Do you think that VMware updated the exam at the same time the documentation was updated? Do you think that they have updated the student manuals yet for people just now taking the course? I think they should offer an update to the student manual when the documentation is updated because it is not fair to have people memorizing incorrect information.

0 Kudos
jimscott
Contributor
Contributor

Rob,

I would also appreciate a copy, I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks

jimscott@fhshealth.org

0 Kudos
Baddino
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i'd like to know how many times the VCP-310 exam can be failed.

I did it the last week and i failed with a 67% Smiley Sad , would be good to know if there is a limit number of the exams i can do.

I'd also like to know if there are some PDFs that can help me to pass the exam.

Best regards

Luca

0 Kudos
vheff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Luca,

It's a very hard exam, but I can't stress the importance of hands-on experience with VI3. I'm not aware of any limit on the number of times you can take the exam, only on your wallet Smiley Happy The PDF's linked previosly in this thread are the most useful, but even better if you can set up some scenarios on a real ESX server.

0 Kudos
Superkikim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Luca,

No choice but to read the VMWare pdfs ! Exams are based on their content. Take some days to read these documents. Focus on what you don't understand or what you're not sure about. And you'll pass the exam. But no other choice but to read these.

Look on top of the page, there is a message from july with all pdf links on it.

Good luck

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Passed the exam on the 19 October....phew .... cheers dudes

0 Kudos
vheff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gratz on the pass! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Baddino
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for the info, but i have another question:

The exam is based on VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 pdf or VMware ESX Server 3.0.0 pdf ?

At the moment study only pdf based on 3.0.1 i hope it's correct Smiley Happy

Sorry for bad english

0 Kudos
dufflepod
Contributor
Contributor

Woohoo. Just passed today with an 87!! I am so relieved. I mostly studied the PDFs and the study flashcards that were posted here in the communities. I was very nervous since I hadn't taken a certification exam in 10 years, but once I got started, I felt pretty confident. I was under a little bit of pressure since I am scheduled to take the capacity planning course in December. Thanks to everyone on the boards for the tips. The test was exactly what everyone said it was: Challanging but a fair gauge of VI3 experience.

Joe

0 Kudos
ady189
Contributor
Contributor

Hey!!

Just to let you all know i've got my VCP exam on Monday! Really need to pass! :smileygrin:

Gonna be cramming everything i can from the question cards and the PDF files over the weekend.

Hopefully be joining all you VCP's soon!

0 Kudos
Baddino
Contributor
Contributor

Passed the exam on the 12 December with 100 :smileygrin: !!!

Thanks all i am very happy

Luca

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Luca,

I also failed with the same score last week and plan on retaking the test next Friday.

Did you use any tools like TestKings test prep to study with?

Thanks,

Spotay

0 Kudos
Baddino
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Spotay,

the material i used are all in pdf format, downloaded from

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pubs.html and i try to use many ESX

bye Smiley Wink

0 Kudos