jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

Does anyone know what the minimum VCI score is for

the VI-3 exam ? I got 86% this morning, which was

enough for VCI ESX 2.x but is it enough now ? I

cannot get that confirmed anywhere ...

Congratulations!!!!! A fine score!

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
mstanger
Contributor
Contributor

What are the exact requirements to become a VCI? Is it just the test score > 85 alone? Are there separate classes, etc? Do I have to work for a vmware partner company?

0 Kudos
Flyer78
Contributor
Contributor

The exam today was 75 Questions and 75 Minutes. The minimum score to pass was 94% i.e. 70/75. I scored an 86% as well. 94 is a little ridiculous....Make sure you know all your minimum requirements for each install including VC Server...

0 Kudos
LTek_llc
Contributor
Contributor

How can the min passing score be 94%... no way.

0 Kudos
kevingj
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean 94% of 75 questions.

Passing score is 70

questions 75

It all depends on how the question are weighted is weighted out of a 100 or is each question worth 1.07 each.

So all you need to do is take the exam 75 questions and get over 70 and you've passed. Smiley Happy

kev.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting thread. There are a few points worth making:

The exam is NOT based solely on the course. You will need hands on experience and have done some homework referencing some of our technical documentation. Make use of the tested areas as a guide. Use your pdf docs and courseware to focus on these areas:

Virtual Infrastructure

Deploy ESX Server

Networking

Storage

Install VirtualCenter

Creating and Managing Virtual Machines

VM Access Control

Resource Management

Monitor Your Environment

Data Protection

Troubleshooting

I would also like to point out that we monitor the TestKings and similar, if we find any information that compromises our exam, we simply rewrite the exam. There are some shocking inaccuracies on these cheat sites. Consider yourself warned! VMWare will not allow it's VCP certification to be compromised by external cheat sites.

While attendance on the course is mandatory, you will still need to focus on the documentation via VMware’s website. The exam was not written only by instructors, but a cross section of subject matter experts.

To become a VCI you will need a score of 85 or higher. Instructors also need to go through a co-teach process where they are evaluated over a 4 day period. There are different guidelines for trainers in the US and EMEA because we use different delivery models.

I wish you all great scores!

David

0 Kudos
ireneyeo
Contributor
Contributor

Just attend the VI3 training last month.. However, doesnt realli cover much.. Need to get cerification in 2 wks... wonder can have more information on the exam questions from everyone and which few topics to spend more time on... so that can prepare and try to clear it.. Thanks for help!!!!

0 Kudos
kevingj
Contributor
Contributor

Why don't you read all the post's in this forum!!! all the information that you need is here, as for questions learn the product and get experience that's the only way to pass not by cheating

0 Kudos
evilwilson
Contributor
Contributor

While attendance on the course is mandatory

Is this true for people who are current VCP on ESX 2.5? I was under the assumption that I was currently a VCP all I had to take was the test. Is this correct?

-Wilson

0 Kudos
piglet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this true for people who are current VCP on ESX

2.5? I was under the assumption that I was currently

a VCP all I had to take was the test. Is this

correct?

-Wilson

Wilson, that's right. As long as you have completed \*one* course in the past, and obtained the cert off the back of that, you don't have to attend another.

That being said, trying to thin out the 1700 pages of new docs to the stuff that you'll be asked on the exam is no mean feat...

Al

0 Kudos
evilwilson
Contributor
Contributor

That being said, trying to thin out the 1700 pages of

new docs to the stuff that you'll be asked on the

No problem. I should be able to read through the material in an hour or so Smiley Happy Actually, I work for a VAR and am banking on my pracitcal experience with VI3. We will see if I am correct.

-Wilson

0 Kudos
squirrelking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Passed the VI3 VCP test today. I was a bit nervous going into it as I have no idea what would be on the test other than the helpful comments on the forum.. This thread was helpful as some have already mentioned the following to help prepare:

\- Know your Resource Pools. The resource management guide was my study material for this. It is hit hard on the test.

\- Know basic best practices for MSCS. I don't know why this is on there but it is..

\- Know Network Traffic Limiting

\- Know storage/SAN configuration

\- Know ESX server installation and configuration including partition sizing

\- Know Licensing

\- Know differences between VM Server and ESX

Thanks all!

---- VCP3 VCP4 VTSP VSP VMware Solution Provider Premier Partner VMware Authorized Consultant [http://blog.lewan.com]
0 Kudos
kevingj
Contributor
Contributor

Not really if you know your stuff.

0 Kudos
SrTim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone get their welcome kits yet? It will be interesting to see if that is changing as well, or just another Certificate and copy of VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
kevingj
Contributor
Contributor

SrTim,

I’ve been thinking about that myself what will they do.

They could improve the VCP members website.

Haven't got my welcome kit yet, I took the test on the first day it was released with my colleague and we still haven't got it yet. I will have to wait.......check the post......check the post... LOL

Kev.

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You'd need a VCP with minimum score of 85, and a successful "co-teach" of a 4-day VMware training together with an experienced VCI. He will evaluate your performance and decide wether additional steps are necessary.

cheers,

Bert.

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

the minimum score hasn't been changed between ESX2 and VI3, that has been confirmed by VMware. 70 for regular VCP, 85 for VCI (with teaching experience and a co-teach test).

regards,

Bert.

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

still waiting here as well SrTim.

I expect there'll be a small rush to VCP-on-VI3 status the first months, so there might be some delay. Also, the people that took the beta exam have received their score now, so they get added to the bunch that has done the final exam.

I bet the distribution list for new sending new certificates is in the hundreds and growing daily.

0 Kudos
dlm1975
Contributor
Contributor

Took the exam this Sat. Everything in this thread is accurate. I would stress:

Licensing

Storage - all types - they hit iSCSI and NFS harder than I personally think they should considering VI3 is arguably geared towards SAN storage.

Minimum requirements for installing VI3

What OS are supported on VMs.

Took the class 2 weeks ago, and they didn't stress any of these.

0 Kudos
J2Jonner
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have received my welcome kit in mail. At least I assume it was the "Welcome Kit" of which you speek. It contained a welcome letter and my certificate, but I don't recall any mention of free workstation downloads. Of interest to me was the VCP numbering, which it seems has started at 10000 for new VI3 VCPs. Can anyone else confirm this?

Cheers,

Jon

0 Kudos