VMware Cloud Community
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB: vcbMounter.exe Unexpected extra arguments encountered

I am trying to follow some backup example tests that were documented in this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/message/759747

I am having trouble getting vcbMounter to mount anyything on the VCB proxy. However I am able to get vcbVmName.exe to show the VM information just fine. Here are the 2 commands I am running (removed my password and real host name):

vcbVmName.exe -h esx-01.mydomain.com -u root -p fakepass -s ipaddr:72.xx.xx.247

Which returns:

Found VM:

moref:80

name:SAM-247

uuid:564df969-669e-7659-4f51-163d90f2c052

ipaddr:72.xx.xx.247

However when I run:

vcbmounter.exe -h esx-01.mydomain.com -u root -p fakepass -a ipaddr:72.xx.xx.247 -r C:\Backups\servers\esx-01.mydomain.com -t fullvm -m nbd

I just get the following error:

2008-03-05 09:58:58.410 'vcbMounter' 1360 error Error: Unexpected extra arguments encountered.

I have tried all sorts of variations, with and without password, using IP instead of host name, enclosing arguments in single and double quotes. All give me the same unexpected arguments error.

As far as I can see all the arguments are correct and are listed when I run the vcbMounter.exe without any arguments. Is there something painfully obvious I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: eger

0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

why are you using "-m nbd"

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The virtual machines are not setup on any SAN or iSCSI.

According to the output my choices are: := -m "san"|"nbd"|"nbdssl"

It fails with any of these choices also.

0 Kudos
76dragon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was also wondering what you have set in the config.js file, the default is set to SAN, id change this to NBD in the config.js file and see what happens when you run the same command without the -m nbd part on the end.

Since your using the -nbd options, im presuming you have the 1.1 framework installed as the nbd options are not aval in the earlier versions such as 1.0.2, 1.0.3

eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually my add/remove programs on this server only shows .net 2.0. I am not sure if 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1. But this machine also had not been restarted after .net 2.0 was installed which might indicate that this is actually a .net framework problem instead of a syntax issue. I will try to schedule a time to reboot this machine and then report back if the issue persists.

I did try the exact same command (with a different mount point) on the ESX server itself and it works great. I was able to mount a samba share and mount the complete VM on it over the network. Though ideally I need this to be done on my backup server so I can do pre and post scripts.

0 Kudos
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still having the same error message for anything I try. The 'Unexpected extra arguments encountered' seems to happen for any combination I enter. The only command to give me a different error is: vcbMounter.exe -h esx-01.mydomain.com which gives me the error: Error: Missing command line option.

Any other options added to the command give the unexpected argument error.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

can you ping the ESX host from the VCB proxy?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, as stated before I can use vcbVmName.exe just fine to get the name and IP and UUID of the remote VM. If this is working I would assume the vcbMounter would.

0 Kudos