VMware Cloud Community
bodlak
Contributor
Contributor

VCB selective image backups

Hi All,

I tried to find exact answer to my problem, but without success.

I have the following problem in my VI3 environment:

I have virtual database server (Windows 2003 + Oracle), with three disk drives.

C: System

😧 Databaze files

E: Backup drive (used for RMAN oracle backups)

I need to use VCB for two backup jobs, for system image backups, and for archiving RMAN export files of DB from disk drive E:

Database files are really big and unusable for recovery, so DB disk drive (D:) is set to independent mode to disable snapshots and backups.

and.. the main problem is, that I still have big problem with disk E: to prevent it from image backup. I am not able to switch it to independent too, because I need to do file level backup of RMAN files in my second backup job.

Main question is, if anybody knows, how to do image backup from selected drives only ? Is there any hidden switch in VCBmounter utility or special script ?

Thanks to all

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
cadmang
Contributor
Contributor

A am no expert here but the VCB is not a module or interface which controls on "what" is to be backed up or not.

The "what" is to backed up is controlled by your backup software, for example in EMC Networker the save set directive(s) would need to change from backing up all the full image

VM:<myhostname>:FULL

to sepecifying 2 separate save set directives

VM:<myhostname>:C\

VM:<myhostname>:E\

0 Kudos
bodlak
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it is true, the problem is not in backup software but in VCB manner.

During VCB image backup process, images of all virtual drives are being transferred to VCB proxy server, where VCB is running.

And... because I need to make image backup from only system drive (server has 1 system + 2 big data drives), it is very very time consuming operation,

and secondly.. I have no free space on VCB proxy server local drives for that operation.

It is the reason, why I need to do image only from systemdrive C:

In VCBMounter.exe, there is no switch to make selection for which drives the image will be done.. Smiley Sad

Thanks

0 Kudos
joost1981
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm having the same issue here. I have a VM with 4 LUNs.

The first LUN is the OS, the other three are data disks.

Now I would like to create a (FULL) VDMK-level backup of only the first disk. The other 3 disks I would like to backup using file-level backup.

Did you find a solution for this problem?

Thanks.........

0 Kudos
riconeo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this VCB Backup issue as well.

Any Gurus to help out on this?

http://ricotroubleshooting.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos
joost1981
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe this can help you, it is rather complex but is works fine for us!

We have contacted VMware about this issue. VCB itself does not have a possibility to solve this problem. We have created a work-arround.

If you create a snapshot of a VM the VMDK files of the VM are set in read-only mode. This means that you can use the vmkfstools command to clone the VMDK file you wish to backup to a temporary location.

This is the setup of EMC Networker (our backup software).

You have to install your backup software on a ESX Server. Create a pre-backup script on the ESX machine which creates a snapshot of the VM you want to backup. The second command in this pre-backup script is the vmkfstools -i (use this to clone the VMDK file to a temporary location), the third command is to delete the snapshot). Then let your backup software backup the temporary file. In the post-backup script you can delete the temporary file. This means that the temporay location you use to clone the VMDK file to does not have to be very large. You can run one backup after another....

There is one problem we have encountered. The pre-backup script is executed at the ESX Host. Because we have multiple ESX Servers that are controlled by a VC Server we do not know which ESX Server contains the VM (because of DRS, VMotion). To create the snapshot we have to let VC execute the "Create Snapshot" command. You cannot execute this command from an ESX Host (From version 3.0.x the vmware-cmd command cannot communicate to a VC Server anymore, as far as I know)

To solve this problem we created a VM (WinXP) with VMware VI Perl Tooklit installed (you can download it at the download section). With this tool you can execute a command at the VC Server (from the WinXP machine). You can also install the Perl Toolkit at the VC Server itself.

All you have to do now is to execute a Windows batch file from the pre-backup script (which is execute from the ESX Host). This is the content of a batch file we used.

perl "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VI Perl Toolkit\Perl\apps\vm\snapshotmanager.pl" --server virtualcenter --username DOMAIN\User --password Password --operation create --snapshotname "Backup" --vmname "Name of VM"

You can execute a Windows batch file from a LINUX Host using the "winexe" command. This is a freeware tool you can find and download on the internet.

This is the content of a prebackup script we used:

/tmp/winexe -U 'DOMAIN\User%Password' //nameofthemachinewhereVIPerlisinstalled "cmd /C C:\Scripts\createsnapshot.bat" CREATE SNAPSHOT

/usr/sbin/vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/p_vmconfig/Productie\ XP\ Heide/p_heide.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/local/p_heide.vmdk -d thin CLONE VMDK FILE

/tmp/winexe -U 'DOMAIN\User%Password' //nameofthemachinewhereVIPerlisinstalled "cmd /C C:\Scripts\removesnapshot.bat" DELETE SNAPSHOT

This is the post-backup script:

rm -f /vmfs/volumes/local/p_heide.vmdk

rm -f /vmfs/volumes/local/p_heide-flat.vmdk

If you have any questions please ask....

Joost.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

If you set the disks that you don't want to have a full image backup of to persistent / independent than VCB will not dump it: http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2008/01/11/vcb-problems-with-independent-disks/

But you can also use the vcbexport tool and script it. It's a bit more work but you won't have to change the VM setup and you can still do snapshots.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
riconeo
Contributor
Contributor

Any guidance on the vcbexport tool that you are referring to?

http://ricotroubleshooting.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Well tool, it's a command which can be issued from the VCB Proxy host. It should be in the same spot as vcbmount. I did not have the time or opportunity to test it unfortunately.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos