VMware Cloud Community
Mr-Mistery
Contributor
Contributor

VCB questions

Hi I finally manage to make my first vcbmounter to work in my VCB.

I have now some questions..

• if you have a 100GB size of vmdk and you are taking full vm backup... what is the average time to finsih?

• How can I make backup of multiple vms in one vcbmounter line?

• Can I use a remote destination let say a win2003 File server.. to put all my vmdks? since I dont have tape library.

• How can I test/ validate if the restore works? shall i delete one vm in my lun and do a restore?

thanks

nuthin
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

I have used mutiple methods to getting the vcbMounter backup off of the LUN for backup and I have found that the vcb Proxy is the fastest by far. Even when running vcbMounter to the same LUN where the VM resides from the Service Console you have performance issues. I have also created a CIFS mount on one of my ESX hosts and ran the backup directly to the CIFS mount and it took 10 times as long than using vcbProxy that utilizes the fiber channel fabric for the process. Anyway you do it multiple variables are involved in the time it takes to complete the backup so the answer is.. It depends...

As far as backing up multple VMs this can be scripted and I am sure someone on the board has something to help with this.

Help me help you by scoring points... Smiley Happy

Help me help you by scoring points.
0 Kudos