VMware Cloud Community
arkturas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCB proxy mount point size ?

We are looking at integrating VCB with HP Dataprotector 6.0 the VCB proxy host will have storage hosted on the SAN, I need to backup approx 2.6TB of vmfs data per night. we want to backup vm's at image level not at FS level.

my questions is: does my VCB proxy server need a 2.6TB mount point or does it only need a mount point the size of the largest VM?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It depends how you schedule your backups. A VCB backup will copy the VMDK file to the staging area of VCB then back that up. If you jsut backup one VMDK at a time then there only needs to be enough space to hold the largest VMDK. If you run parallel backups obvisouly there will need to be enough space to hold all the VMDK files being backed up at any time

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It depends how you schedule your backups. A VCB backup will copy the VMDK file to the staging area of VCB then back that up. If you jsut backup one VMDK at a time then there only needs to be enough space to hold the largest VMDK. If you run parallel backups obvisouly there will need to be enough space to hold all the VMDK files being backed up at any time

0 Kudos
arkturas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, for the reply

we have a very limited backup windows as it is, the reason for going to VCB was to offload the backups to the proxy server then get HP DataProtector to backup the mount point which will support fibre attached tape drives.

so we will need a large mount point, based on the total amount of VMFS data we want to backup.

0 Kudos