VMware Cloud Community
sharvey2
Contributor
Contributor

VCB problem: backup start notify timeout with NetBackup

The problem is that the global setting "backup notify timeout" is at 25 minutes, severely limiting the number of VMs we can have in a policy. We do not want to raise the global setting any higher. The way we're set up we can only have 4 or 5 VMs in a policy.

If the job takes longer than 25 minutes it fails.

Does anyone have any advice on a way to get more VMs in a policy without raising that global setting too high?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hiya,

I set the specified Netbackup timeouts at the Netbackup media[/b] server level - which is the VCB server (at least in our environment).

If you have a similar config - or are in a position to install Netbackup as a media server on the VCB box - then this will be a perfect solution for you too.

We then leave our Netbackup master server at the defaults of 5 mins etc...

This solution works fine - I backed up a VM with over 400Gb of vmdk disk yesterday. It took about 1hr 45 to mount and 4hrs 22 to backup completely.

Timeouts were not an issue - even though the Netbackup master server is still set to the defaults.

Dinny

sharvey2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that will not work for us because our VCB server is not a media server but a mere client. I'm hoping I can find a way to set this timeout locally on the VCB server without changing the global setting.

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hiya,

I couldn't find a way to do that - but goodluck...

If you do find a way - please let me know how.

Dinny

0 Kudos