VMware Cloud Community
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCB on same servers as backup software

Is it possible to run VCB on the same server as your backup server? I do not mean the backup vendors VMware plugin/remote agent but the actual backup media server software?

I would like to use an existing backup server which backs up servers via the traditional agent installed on the server/vm and use VCB just to copy VM images to the local storage of the backup server. I do not intend on backing up the VM images using the backup software.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you can... i believe you use vcbmount to take a snapshot and mount the virtual disk and then its another comand to export the data

vmware has a paper on VCB commands. I'm unsure of the exact commands ... i use the vcb framework on my backup server (running BE12.5) .. BE uses the vcb to create the snapshot, mount the disk, dump it on the local storage and then unmount the virtual disk, delete the snapshot and then back up the exported disk to tape media...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you can definately install the vcb framework on the same server as your backup software.. whether you intend to use the BU software or not

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you use VCB alone to create image level backups and store them on the backup server. (not using backup software to run pre/post scripts)?

0 Kudos
mocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you can... i believe you use vcbmount to take a snapshot and mount the virtual disk and then its another comand to export the data

vmware has a paper on VCB commands. I'm unsure of the exact commands ... i use the vcb framework on my backup server (running BE12.5) .. BE uses the vcb to create the snapshot, mount the disk, dump it on the local storage and then unmount the virtual disk, delete the snapshot and then back up the exported disk to tape media...

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again.

One last question - On your BE12.5 server, do you have the VMware Virtual Infrastructure Agent?

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos
mocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do yes. Only need one VMware Agent per ESX host. Or if your running VirtualCentre you only need one VMware Agent to do multiple ESX hosts.

I'm using the VMware Agent with my Virtual Centre to back up all my vmware servers across two ESX hosts.

0 Kudos
mocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No problem! That's what the boards are for Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Nael -

Take a look at this "Proven Practice" doc that Chris Skinner from VMware wrote about VCB 1.5 and BE 12.5 ->

Also take a look at my doc ->[http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1133] It is a companion doc for a session I presented at VMworld 2008. It deals with NetBackup, but gives you helpful info for setting up VCB.

BTW...I noticed you marked this question as "Answered". Please also mark the "correct" answer as well.

Dave Convery - VMware vExpert

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Doug Larson

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks dconvery

0 Kudos