VMware Cloud Community
atdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB on iSCSI

I have read in other posts where users state they have successfully run VCB using iSCSI. Of course, I realize that according to VMware this setup is not supported.

If people were in fact able to do so, may I ask:

Were you able to do so using the software iSCSI initiator (referring to the ESX initiator) or were you using hardware initiator?

I have successfully configured an iSCSI target running on a Fedora box (storing/running VMs) and I setup another iSCSI target on a Windows 2003 box (using Nimbus MySAN).

I setup a virtual VCB proxy (on the ESX server), and I was able to "mount" a partition physically located on the Windows 2003 iSCSI target (using Microsoft's iSCSI initiator).

However, I can't seem to get my ESX server to connect to an iSCSI target on the Windows 2003 and I can't get a Microsoft iSCSI initiator to connect to an iSCSI target installed on a Linux box. (I haven't had luck with a Microsoft iSCSI initiator installed on either a virtual Windows 2003 install or from a Microsoft iSCSI initiator running on a physical Windows 2003 box).

Not sure if I am missing something in the setup or if I need a hardware iSCSI initiator on my ESX server.

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
atdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

From the folks I have talked to using this they were using hardware iSCSI.

Thomas H. Bryant III
atdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Kix1979!!! (I marked your response as "Helpful"; if this turns out to be correct I'll make sure and give you credit as answering correctly).

Does anyone else have experience with getting VCB running using a software initiator?

I spoke with reps from both VMware and Vizioncore (at my company's National Sales Conference) and neither was able to give me a definite answer.

I am starting to think that my obsession with this is starting to border on unhealthy....

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

I may be able to try this for you today, as ive just installed QLogic 4052 into an IBM Blade, which is one of my ESX 3 test boxes.. i'll post back..

KnowItAll
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It will work just fine with Microsofts iSCSI software initiator.

Remember though that the lun you present to ESX must be presented as the same lun number to the VCB proxy.

0 Kudos
enDemand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It works just fine with several iSCSI configurations that I've tried. To answer your questions:

I've tried it with both the iSCSI initiator (using both Intel and Broadcom NICs) as well as QLogic QLA405xC HBAs. The targets were both hardware-based as well as a few software iSCSI targets. I've been using both EMC and EqualLogic for hardware targets, and iET (or OpenFiler) as well as DataCore's SANMelody to setup software targets.

It doesn't sound like your problem is with VCB, but rather the iSCSI setup. I'm not familiar with MySAN. What are you running on Linux?

If you find this or any other answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
atdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was asking as to whether the ESX iSCSI initiator needs to be a hardware initiator or software initiator, NOT the initiator on the VCB proxy.

0 Kudos
KnowItAll
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

On ESX, it will work with BOTH (hardware and software).

0 Kudos
atdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Figured this one out on my own.

Later.

0 Kudos
atdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just re-read my last post and it (unintentionally) came across as kind of harsh.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

0 Kudos
sepso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would you please describe steps that you took to setup Nimbus?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Paul_Lalonde
Commander
Commander

MySAN is still only a beta product by Nimbus Data Systems and does not support SCSI reservations; that is, it can't deal with the SCSI RESERVE and RELEASE command issued by ESX Server on VMFS partitions to ensure data consistency.

As such, MySAN is not yet a suitable product for ESX 3 environments.

Paul

0 Kudos
biekee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Interesting document for the setup:

http://web.inter.nl.net/users/jainoxi/VCB_In-a-box.pdf

To test, this will workout perfect.

But, how is your dutch? Smiley Happy

bk

0 Kudos
Anton_Kolomyeyt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ladies and Gentlemen!

If you're using iSCSI just for fun or to run SAN-related experiments please drop us a message to info@rocketdivision.com and we'll issue you with a free NFR StarWind iSCSI Target license(s). StarWind from Rocket Division Software \*DOES* support SCSI reservations and VMware/ESX. If you're looking for working iSCSI Target for Windows to use in production environment I think you have no other choice except to buy it from DataCore, FalconStor, Microsoft or Rocket Division Software. Or just wait for Isakovich and his guys to fix currently broken MySAN thing Smiley Happy

Regards,

Anton Kolomyeytsev

CEO, Rocket Division Software

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VCB on iSCSI is now supported, with ESX 3.0.2 and VCB 1.0.3

0 Kudos