VMware Cloud Community
andrey_paramono
Contributor
Contributor

VCB & mounting a vmdk file on remote vcb proxy server

Hello,

Is it possible to mount a remote vmdk file (or all the vmdk files for a VM) on a remote vcb proxy box as a vmdk image(?)

- tried vcbMounter.exe -h 199.xx.xx.xx -u "backupuser" -p "password" -m "nbd" -a "name:PAS-AD" -r "C:\MNT\PAS-AD" -t file

and operation is successful, but I'm presented with a couple of directories with the file system of a VM inside (which is not my ultimate goal though)

- tried vcbMounter.exe -h 199.xx.xx.xx -u "backupuser" -p "password" -m "nbd" -a "name:PAS-AD" -r "C:\MNT\PAS-AD" -t fullvm -M 1 -F 1

and this one fails. Apparently, it seems that it tries to copy vmdk file to a vcb proxy box, which doesn't have enough space (surprise!). VCB proxy box isn't connected to any SAN or iSCSI, all the ESX boxes are standalone ones with the local storage.

So, my question is - how to mount a vmdk file to a remote vcb proxy to be able just to backup it as a single file (I don't worry about restore at the moment) - if it's possible at all.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
andrey_paramono
Contributor
Contributor

Should I consider the answer as "No"? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

That's not possible with VCB at the moment. You either mount it and do a file level backup, or do a fullvm level backup which copies the complete disk to a "holding tank". So you need at least the 1 time the size of your vmdk.

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

andrey_paramono
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos