VMware Cloud Community
SmaxHD
Contributor
Contributor

VCB error VSS error?

Hello,

I`m experiencing snapshot problems after installing a secondary VSS provider form EqualLogic on the VM`s for using MPIO. I can create a snapshot using the vCenter snapshot Manager. But when I`m using de vcbMounter it generates an error?

Creating a quiesced snapshot failed because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine

the small script that I`m using

rd E:\VCB_Backup\TM01W2K3 /s /q

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\vcbMounter.exe" -h VC01W2K3.XXXXXXX.local -u XXXXXX.local\admin -p PASSWD -a ipaddr:192.168.7.32 -r E:\VCB_Backup\TM01W2K3 -t fullvm -m nbd -M 1

It looks like the EQL VSS provider disables the Microsoft VSS provider. So the snapshot fails using "third party" snapshot creators. If I remove the EQL HIT kit everything is working just fine?

So now I`m was trying the -Q 0 after the -M 1 and now the vcbMounter can make a snapshot and is exporting the VM with the EQL VSS provider.

My question does the -Q 0 affect the backup or VM? So I don`t get corrupted data in the VM and the backup?

the message with the -Q 0 option doesn't give me a good feeling?

Disable quiescing by appending -Q 0 to the vcbMounter command, or adding Quiesce = 0 for pre-backup jobs. Refer the Virtual Machine Backup Guide for more information. Note: -Q 0 refers to disabling the quiescing option.

I did read the guide, kb articels and release notes but it doesn`t satisfy me?

Hope someone good give me an answer on this and I hope my question is clear. My English isn't that good :)? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Maarten

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Maarten,

If you do not quiesce your VM, you can't guaranty the consistency of your backup.

You should contact Dell for a solution to make the snapshot consistent even with the Equalogic driver.

Hope it helps...

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos