VMware Cloud Community
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB can´t identify several VMs??

Hello,

I implementing VCB on our VMware installation and I have problem with several VMs, which can´t be identified by vcbmounter (I try vcbvmname too with options ipaddr or uuid).

VMs are running, I can ping them. I can´t identify VMs from VCB proxy and ESX server too. We use ESX 3.5 and VC2.5.

Can you help me please?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
EnsignA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you implementing VCB on the VirtualCenter server? That usually does not work. Be sure that your VCB proxy server can see all the LUNs on your SAN and that you have no redundant paths. Don't use any pathing software like EMC PowerPath. In Disk Management, be sure to disable the disks that show red X's.

Just some general tips.

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As was already mentioned, make sure your VCB proxy is on a different machine than your VC. Also, where are these particular VM's stored? SAN, Local Storage, etc... If Fibre connected, multipathing is a big no-no. You are on the right track using the VCBName.exe utility. Use the following command to show all VM's managed by VC, obviously substituting your VC server name as well as administrator pwd. If you are connecting to a particular ESX server rather than VC, that could explain why some are not available.

vcbvmname -h vc.domain.local -u administrator -p ********** -s any

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your tips, but I CAN backup some VMs without problems!!! Only several VMs I can´t see via vcb commands.

My VCB proxy run on different machine than VC server. My VMs reside on FC SAN. We use multipathing SW from HP. I see only one partition from every LUN.

I thing, that configuration is correct. I don´t understand why some VMs are visible via VCB and some not???!! For example two VMs reside on same LUN, run on same ESX server, both VMs are W2k3 servers with same versions of VMtools. But one is visible via VCB and the other not. I don´t understand it!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
EnsignA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The multipathing software is a bad thing. I would "unzone" your VCB Proxy, remove all multipathing agents. Then, zone back only one path to each storage controller. When you rescan the disk config, you should see one ESX LUN that just says healthy, and the other should have a red X. Disable the ones in red. Try your backups again.

Also, be sure to match the correct version of the VCB software on the proxy to the ESX version. Not all versions of the VCB proxy work correctly on all versions of ESX. In fact, you might check that first.

dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good suggestions... Like I mentioned before, Multi-pathing BAD when it comes to VCB. The proxy MUST see the LUN's exactly as the ESX servers do. Try that first and go from there.

-D-

rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for suggestions. I found error in permissions for vcb backup user. Our multipathing SW works good now, so I won´t remove it. I see only one healthy volume per LUN.

0 Kudos