VMware Cloud Community
taou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB backup

hello everybody,

i need your help please.

i have to configure a proxy backup server (VCB) and i hope to help me.

overview:

- I have 3 VMs stored on a SAN storage (EVA) with windows server.

- I have an ESX server and another physical server with windows 2003 server as a proxy server (VCB)

- A software for backup (data protector)

steps that i do:

on proxy server

- i disconnect the fibre channel and i do the following like the example of vmware document:

1 Shut down the Windows proxy.

2 Disconnect the Windows proxy from the SAN or mask all the LUNs containing VMFS volumes or RDM for virtual machines.

3 Boot the proxy and log into an account with administrator privileges.

4 Open a command‐line interface.

5 Run the diskpart utility by typing: diskpart

6automount disable

7 automount scrub

8 Exit

9 Shut down Windows.

10 Reconnect the Windows proxy to the SAN, or unmask all previously masked

LUNs containing

after that

1 Log into the VCB proxy using an account with administrator privileges.

2 Install the Consolidated Backup package by running setup.exe

3 During the installation, choose an installation directory for Consolidated Backup or accept the default one.

my question:

-During the installation i didn't receive any message to indicate the default directory (c:\mnt) but i have change the config.js file to the correct value including the default directory.

-on C directory i don't have a c:\mnt directory. what is the problem???? why this directory isn't visible and found.

-how can i check if the virtual machine is mounted on c:/mnt directory and is there any script to write to mount the VM or it is the role of VCB product??

-The LUN that contains the VM is not presented to the Proxy server, i hope to know if it is important to present this LUN or Vdisk to the VCB server???

thanks for yr help

hicho

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

I will try to answer your questions:

1. If you don't have a c:\mnt directory on your proxy server you have to create it yourself.

2. If you run a backup with VCB there will be a subdirectory created under c:\mnt for the backup. So you have to check during the backup.

3. You have to present every LUN that contains VMs you want to backup to the proxy server.

Remember to install the Data Protector VCB integration package for your version of Data Protector.

Regards, Robert

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition